Agnostic.com

4 8

LINK People Have Been Saying “Ax” Instead of “Ask” for 1,200 Years

I have copied the following from a post on FB. This spoke to me, gave me quite a wake up.

See, I was one of those folks who figured the speaker was just ignorant and uneducated. They are not, it is actually common usage historically. Now I know better, and I will do better. I may even add aks or ax to my vocabulary. This may cause my grandmother to roll over in her grave, and that is a risk I am willing to take.

Copied text:
I cannot put words on how important this thread of Tweets by Abraham Piper is. SO important, in fact, I'm just gonna copy/paste right here.

Why do some people say “aks” instead of “ask”?
It’s not “just their accent” and it sure as hell isn’t a mispronunciation.
There’s a linguistic reason and a cultural reason. Let’s quickly look at both:
First, “ask” and “aks” are the same word because of ✨metathesis✨, which is when two sounds in a word trade places.
For example, nobody corrects you when you swap the T and R sounds in “comfortable” and say “comfterble,” instead.
It’s the same with “aks” and “ask.” They’ve always been interchangeable.
Both “ascian” and “acsian” were used in Old English.
But then over time, for no reason having anything to do with “correct grammar,” “ask” became the pronunciation of those in power, and therefore became “standard,” whereas “aks” was the pronunciation of…the less powerful.
And here we arrive at the cultural explanation…
When enslaved Africans learned English, they learned it mainly from European indentured servants…who’s dialect included “aks.”
Thus it became a perfectly natural — and therefore correct — element of African American Vernacular English.
But, still, languages change. So why hasn’t "aks" been standardized?
I’ll quote John McWhorter, a black linguist, to answer that (https://t.co/RuFpxbW42t).
He writes:
“’Ax’ is a word indelibly associated not just with asking but with black people asking…"
“‘Ax,’ then, is as integral a part of being a black American as are subtle aspects of carriage, demeanor, humor and religious practice. 'Ax' is a gospel chord in the form of a word….
Yet nothing can stop people from hearing 'ax' as illiterate.”
And now a painful irony:
“When a black speaker gets the most comfortable…the most herself — that is exactly when she is likely to slide in an ‘ax’ for ‘ask.’ Immediately she sounds ignorant to any nonblack person who hears her, not to mention to quite a few black ones.”
So…when she’s most honest, a linguistic bias in us means she won’t be taken seriously.
But that doesn’t have to be true!
And a very basic way to begin changing that is to not call other people’s native language “bad grammar.”
It's rude.
And ignorant.
But mostly rude.
Anyway, thanks for reading another tiktok-as-twitter-thread. I appreciate it. Come along for more if you feel like it. 🤷♀️👋

The link attached is another article in support of this story.

HippieChick58 9 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's frustrating to those of us who have taken the trouble to learn to speak English.

I'll tell ya this, one thing that really makes a white person who does not like Black people crazy, is when they've spoken to a Black person who's speaking without that delectable accent but have not actually seen them and have enjoyed the conversation (like what happens over the phone), might even feel they like the person andthen find out they are Black. OhBOY do they feel they've been deceived!
I saw this lots of times during the time I was with my ex.
His mom made him learn to speak "white" English, the whole time I was with him he never spoke Black English when he talked to his mom. When he chatted with his brother's there were times I could hardly understand what he was saying. It's not bad grammar it's damn near another language.

A dialectic on dialects, how eclectic

I like the version from Stiv

People have been shitting on the sidewalks of L.A. for a long time too. It doesn’t make it proper.
I’d say that both cases are a matter of proper education.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:695826
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.