Agnostic.com

2 3

For some reason I'm disturbed by the fact that the only person lauded personally for attacking the gunman in the Colorado gay bar just happened to be a straight army veteran.

I think the other brave individuals should have been interviewed as well unless they declined.

Lorajay 9 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, I think he had the biggest role in immobilizing the attacker, so that would be the reason he got so much notoriety, but it's good that heroic act got so media attention. It just so happened that he's a straight former military man there with his wife/family supporting friends working at the club, or what ever the reasons they were there.

I've seen other interviews from the injured club patrons, and their sexual identity and background training (if any) wasn't disclosed, but regardless of their sexual identity, they all seem to show the club as a fun safe place for the type of entertainment they provide, filling a niche and providing a sense of family for some of the patrons and performers who might be feeling estranged from their own families.

This might be the only glimpse some citizens ever see or hear of what goes on in places like that, so I'm glad there is media attention on those who can tell their story. Perhaps a few folks who have been made fearful will come to understand these places are no threat to their own sexual identity, it's just good fun, serving a social and entertainment outlet.

We have a monthly drag shows here on my island, and families go to watch and enjoy the hard work the participants put toward their craft. If someone has a problem with it, they simply don't go. Similarly, I don't enjoy sports, so I simply don't go to the ball games.

We need more stories about how people are coming together in support of those not necessarily like them, as those stories can be used as bridges to help connect people's understanding of topics they don't understand and for what ever reasons have been taught to be fearful about.

They may not have much info yet. What a lot of people don't realize is many gay nightclubs have a LOT of straight people. In .smaller areas , they are usually the best , if not the only modern dance clubs. Open minded crowd and a lot of fun. My adult ( very gay)daughter loves to go to drag shows, but can't stand driving in the city, or the four hour round trip from the boonies, so I get enlisted to take her. It's a blast, but it's also in the middle of redneck maga hell , so they have intense security, metal detector, and a number of cops monitoring the parking lot.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:696742
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.