Agnostic.com

2 9

I went to McAlister's today to have lunch because I can get a child's portion with one potato and a side of broccoli--and a cookie. (The cookie wasn't brought with the potato, but I made sure the server brought one to me.)

There was a young woman sitting facing me at another table. I spoke to her a couple of times and when her food came, she asked, "Are you waiting for someone?" Nope. She then asked, "Could I join you?" Sure, why not? I had the feeling that she thought I was some old lonely woman eating alone and in need of company, but I am sure that she did not leave with that impression.

She joined me and I learned that she is from Joplin, is a nurse and a ballerina who plans to audition with a KC troupe. We talked about various things in her life and mine, including that she is Christian and I am not.

We enjoyed each other's company despite age, religion, and different career paths.
When we were finished, we bade each other good-bye warmly and went our ways. T

That's how "it" should be: people sitting and talking and not judging each other.

The only bad thing was I bit my tongue. I guess it felt like a piece of broccoli.
Oh, and a child's potato/side/cookie cost $3.77 and is just enough.

Gwendolyn2018 9 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One of the restaurants I frequent for casual dinner and music/dancing is a place with picnic tables in the open air, and the owners of the place generally show me to a table with other solo diners or groups where I either know folks or have seen them around.

It's nice to chat with new people now and then. It's interesting how often the subject goes to religion - I guess it's because when asked what I do for a living I reply that I officiate weddings and funerals, so people figure I'm a minister, and they ask me what denomination, so I reply Humanist. 🙂

Dinner is a minimum purchase of $20 to listen to the music there for free, so your $3.77 deal sounds pretty good! I always order my meal in a "to go" box, because I know half of it is going home for lunch the next day. 😉

I drove a truck in the 80s and one thing I truly enjoyed was stopping in little roadside diners and sitting at the counter. Sometimes there would be all local people, sometimes from all over the planet , but always interesting, and a fascinating way to learn about all the local cultures, and learn to translate in ones head words and intentions that can have entirely different meanings depending on geography. Somehow I don't think there's much of that kind of understanding these days.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:696763
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.