Agnostic.com

6 3

Can i? Or should I?

Can i or should i stop at every instance of racist construction in posts and comments on this site?

• 10 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 5 votes
Maya405 7 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Have confronted more racism and xenophobia on this site than I expected. Have fought for a while and then I needed to back off for now. Will continue to fight. If you confront that kind of ignorance too often it is definitely crazy-making. I try to figure out when I need to fight and when I need to have some fun. Occasionally the 2 coincide.

Yes, that's why i brought it out. It's a systemic thing, individuals can't fight them on their own, the whole community has to take care of it- and other prejudices.

Thank you! That's exactly how I feel. If you feel like someone is being inappropriate and need some support please let me know. Shadowraptor is also good with this.

Any instance of racism should be denounced.

Yes, but not just by the 'recipient' of racism.
It should be denounced by the community where it's taking place.

Yes, we need a genuine upwelling of righteous indignation in this country -- and I think the "me, too" movement and its supporters have already set the movement into motion!

I would prefer to block them.
I don't think that a tiger changes stripes very often..

Yes, that's the last thing to do.

freedom of speech

Of course freedom of speech. A rascist has the freedom to express their racist ideology and we have the freedom to show them how asinine they are.

indeed

Another way.
Maybe the best way would be to point out to the person who is making the racist remarks where they are insulting people and how it hurts them.
They might not know where they are going off the track, and need to be nudged back on.

That's a point.
But it can make a difference only when its not just me or a few people of colour here who are objecting to the racist remarks, but the larger majority of Agnostic members object to them.

@Maya405 I honestly believe that many other members here would object to that kind of behavior by either trying to get through to that person or by having them removed from the site by reporting them to Admin.

I don't like absolute statements, I don't think you should force yourself to either stop or not stop at racist constructs, just act how you feel at the moment you read them, depending on whatever factors your like.

MarcO Level 5 Dec 7, 2017

That's a lot of free will in play, brother.
Check if it's actually there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6968
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.