Agnostic.com

6 1

Extreme Atheism

My question is for those (if any) who believe there is no spiritual aspect to life, the world, or anything.
I don't understand how that could be possible.
Have you never seen or experienced anything that could not be explained by ordinary, mundane means?
Not meaning to be critical: I'm just curious.

CallMeDave 8 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You're thinking of skepticism, my friend. Atheism is only a response to a claim, it can't be extreme. Skepticism, however, is how you process the claim. Therefore, if something happens to me that can't be explained, then I'm stuck until I come up with a way to test a hypothesis. "I don't know.", may not be satisfying, but it is still better than jumping to uncertain conclusions.

What you describe is not extreme. It is a calm acceptance of reality.

I believe there is a rich spiritual aspect to life, but it doesn’t have anything to do with ghosts.
Here are eight definitions of the root word that don’t involve superstition. I realize that many people use the word to describe imaginary beings or forces, but use of the word ‘spiritual’ in the sense of these definitions is at least equally legitimate, and to my thinking, more so.
But back to the original post, just because I don’t know of a mundane explanation, doesn’t mean one doesn’t exist. And just because one isn’t known by anyone is no justification for accepting imaginary explanations.

1. an attitude or principle that inspires, animates, or pervades thought, feeling, or action: the spirit of reform.
  2. spirits, feelings or mood with regard to exaltation or depression: low spirits; good spirits.
  3. excellent disposition or attitude in terms of vigor, courage, firmness of intent, etc.; mettle: That's the spirit!
  4. temper or disposition: meek in spirit.
  5. an individual as characterized by a given attitude, disposition, character, action, etc.: A few brave spirits remained to face the danger.
  6. the dominant tendency or character of anything: the spirit of the age.
  7. vigorous sense of membership in a group: college spirit.
  8. the general meaning or intent of a statement, document, etc. (opposed to letter ): the spirit of the law.
skado Level 9 Dec 7, 2017

Does believing in a rich spiritual aspect of life preclude atheism?

No, not if by atheism you mean a refusal to believe in magical beings.

I think it's fine to admit we don't know how something happened, or even what happened, but to jump forward to a spiritual or metaphysical explanation doesn't seem like a valid step. We can still experience awe at the universe and marvel at the mysteries we've yet to solve, but I can't accept "magic" as a valid answer.

I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.
Richard Feynman
To me this is more agnostic than athiest. Acknowledgement of mysteries without forcing them into boxes of explanation.

@BenPike, There's a dispute on this site about the definition of atheism, but in a nutshell the dictionary definition is "disbelief or lack of belief in God or gods." This includes the agnostic position. I'm not going to engage in debate about definitions — not that I think you're attempting that — but the definition "lack of belief" is what I use and what the American Atheists use. I can go into detail about where I see overlap and distinction between atheism and agnosticism, but I don't want to distract from the current topic. I focused on what you said about not knowing how life, the world, etc., couldn't have a spiritual component because there are things we don't know or understand — but I missed the exact wording you had used directing your question at those who believe there to be no spiritual aspect, so my answer was incomplete. What I'd say here is that believing something to not be the case isn't always an entirely faith-based claim, but it is an active claim and therefore requires justification. I'd say that I don't claim to know there's no spiritual existence (though we'd need to discuss what is meant by "spiritual" and the scope of its influence in our physical world) but neither do I believe it to be a 50-50 proposition. The world appears to work according to specific principles that we can understand using the scientific method and mathematics, and looking back at history to see what we didn't know at various times and how we learned and pushed beyond our ignorance over the years has revealed a pattern of physical discovery that continually eliminated magical sources as the answer. So I don't have certainty about a spiritual aspect, but I see no evidence and I see a pattern of discovery that suggests it's unlikely as a real-world aspect. But I will adamantly disagree that because we don't understand everything then a spiritual component is necessary. That's the god-of-the-gaps argument, i.e., the claim that an assertion must be true because we have no other explanation. I consider the claim of a spiritual reality itself to be ill-defined and to offer no real answers about the world, so in such matters I'm a de facto atheist and non-spiritualist because the burden of evidence has not been met — and because throughout history science has advanced our understanding of the world's mysteries, I actively disbelieve the claim of a spiritual aspect is a necessary actor in our reality. I don't claim to know these things are impossible, but it seems unlikely based upon our experience with the world and our understanding of history. And, if such evidence is eventually forthcoming, I'll happily update my worldview.

resserts That totally makes sense even though it doesn't work for me.
Knowledge and mystery became irrevocably mingled when my Physics prof explained that if he stood in front of the class and dropped his text book enough times, it would eventually fall up, not down. Quantum theory and relativity contradict one another. Parallel universes are gaining credence as valid scientific theory. It's all one big chaotic mess.

@BenPike, I guess I'm just confused, then, by the word "spiritual" in this context. It sounds like you're still talking about physical principles, regardless of whether we fully understand them yet, and maybe I just don't have a ballpark understanding of what you're presenting as your argument. Can you give me a brief description of how you define or conceptualize spiritual aspects of the world? I don't want to argue against a position that you aren't presenting.

I have never seen anything nor experienced anything that could not be explained through scientific means, frankly. I have no idea what a religious feeling is like, or why people so often turn to the supernatural to explain things that could be explained more easily with cold, hard science.

MarcO Level 5 Dec 7, 2017

If you'd accept a challenge it would be to live mostly alone in some isolated area of wilderness for a week at least, and see if that works.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6970
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.