Agnostic.com

8 16

Running in winter battling cold winds.

Today I went for a three-mile run. A viciously cold, strong wind was the leading edge of a series of snowstorms. It was too cold to walk.

I have six down jackets from lightweight to a heavy Arctic coat rated 40 below zero. I chose the middle weight. Not enough. So I picked up the pace. "Go, Kathleen, GO!"

It was hard running into the brutal teeth of the wind. Longed for a thick scarf across my face. It made me run faster to get it over with. Ha ha!

Running in a ski mask would make me look like a terrorist. Will figure something out.

It started to snow hard this evening.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I take it as a sign that humans really are a tropical species that most of us hate winter.

A ski mask wouldn't make you look like a terrorist.

@BitFlipper

Running in a ski mask I would look like a robber.

@LiterateHiker Just don't carry a gun and a bag of money. You'll be OK.

@alliwant

I don't have a gun. I never would buy a gun. I don't carry money while running.

I adapted a workshop spark mask as a face protector for cycling. It does not insulate, but it does keep the wind off, in very cold areas it will also perhaps need wiping to stop it misting and freezing. I had to sow extra buttons on to the hat of course.

You should have stayed home, have a cup of tea and a nice fattening cake.

Why not run indoors? Surely there is a gym there somewhere?

@MsKathleen

There are no indoor running tracks in Wenatchee, WA.

@LiterateHiker well, you know what business to open, then.

Running in the cold is invigorating to say the least...scarf or ski mask would help. Only thing I didn't like was my toes getting frosty the instant I stopped. Enjoy the winter wonderland, we never get those in southern Alablamama😁 we did get about 4" back in 2011...I was working at one of the hospitals and 2...yes TWO locals were brought in with broken bones...for trying to ride their Harleys in the snow...both were in total denial, each claiming "I could handle it"...to which I asked, " and you are in here becauuuuse???"...you could have heard a pin drop...smfh

Your ski mask observation may be sadly accurate. Many years ago late on a cold windy winter night I walked to the YMCA (my gym) wearing a dark brown ski mask. When I crossed the major street between the YMCA and a huge church, an old car with an idiot young white man stopped in the middle of the road. He rolled down his windows and yelled (over and over) "Hey you fucking nigger! Go back to Africa you fucking monkey . . . . . etc etc. I am not dark skinned.

On another cold winter night, wearing a ski mask, as I was entering the YMCA several patrons who were leaving displayed profound fear when they saw me. They acted like I was going to kill them.

As for figuring something out, I have found wearing an N-95 mask is very warm when running between buildings.

@NoMagicCookie

Good idea. I will try running in an ND-95 mask. Thanks.

Your story was horrifying. Glad you weren't shot.

I admire your tenacity.

@HippieChick58

Thank you.

Admirable indeed

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:697537
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.