Agnostic.com

10 1

What do you think about Exodus 21 where the Bible teaches slavery

Boxing903 5 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ignorant verses like that helped mold our history.

I think it shows that the Bible was written by men who fashioned religion to maintain power.

Every "holy" book has this kind of crazy stuff. That's why we are all here on this site, right? 😀

Alexa Level 5 Dec 7, 2017

I do not give a damn about what the bible says: Slavery is an evil practice!

Like any religious or self help book, take what you think is good out of it, and ignore the rest. The Bible has good teaching and also stupid, outdated, crazy crap in it.

That's what makes it religion! The good mixed in with all kinds of crazy drap... whihc is why we on this site don't bother with religion but just focus on the good.

There was not only slavery but entire nations were put into subserveince. The Jews that wrote the OT were ceratinly victim of this throughout their history.
The Romans ruled Judea for a while and the times when the NT was written actually gives us a good insight into what is was like to live under the yolk of Rome.

To be honest Rome was relatively lenient to the Jews and did not even station a permanent Garrison in Jerusalem. They left the law and order to their puppet Jewish king ,Herod.The Romans only took taxes and this was a big bone of contention at the time. We can see this in the NT gospels where we have Jesus questioned as to whether the Roman tax was legal he answers and also Paul giving similar advise.

Matthew22.21"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's." Romans 13:1 "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."

Fuck the bible for possessing my friends and family and turning them against me for not being possessed

its all a load of rubbish

That it utterly disqualifies the Bible from being a moral guide in any sense, even if the rest of it were perfectly moralistic (it's not of course).

It's very useful to use in an argument with a thumper who thinks you can't be moral without god.
Showing them how the bible explains how to beat your slave just enough not to kill him is so morally good.

Matt Dillahunty calls it his "Goto Argument" for dealing with Biblethumpers and morality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6976
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.