Agnostic.com

13 0

Do you believe in the butterfly effect?

ebdb 7 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know what a butterfly effect is but for what I understand to science Whenever there is a action there is an equal reaction in relation to science I don't know about if it's so related to thoughts or related to dirty things people do to each other if that will come back to them in the opposite way I have no clue I haven't seen it happen yet in my life it's good to see some open-minded people I can't understand why some Christians won't say the word hell but it's okay to say that in church somebody help me on that thanks

Sure, in as much as some action that seems relatively minor (or not) can have an affect on something down the line that seems completely irrelevant and unrelated. I don't believe that some crazy natural disaster will occur every time a butterfly flaps its wings.

Actually, I believe in an infinite amount of universes endlessly permutating as each atom of the entire universe goes in a slightly different direction. So, yeah.

N7EIE Level 6 Apr 30, 2018

Interesting!

Absolutely -- in a chaotic system - the initial conditions define the outcome -- it doesn't take much of a change in the initial conditions to make a huge change in the outcome. As for Weather - the classic definition of a chaotic system - in the whole, predictable, but in the detail pure chaos. (Spring will come, flowers will bloom -- but to predict a date a few months in advance is, well folly -- ie, this years DC cherry blossoms!). The premise that a small change in China will effect our weather... yeah -- think a forest fire changing the albedo. the forest fire is small on a global scale, but ... Look at the "seeds" of the hurricanes as they start at banks of clouds off the African coast.... it doesn't take much to change a local rain shower in Africa into a hurricane!

f

Last night on the dreaded TV I saw the biggest moth in the world - wingspan of 10 inches - rainforest far north Queensland. I saw it, I believe it, that's it's effect.

yes, but also accept that most changes have no noticeable effect in the bigger scheme of things.

What next? Do you believe in photons?

Of course

There is cause effect in everything we do and I agree with that concept to certain extent. On the other hand, when I hear the typical coment of a small event that may cause a tsunami at the other side of the world, that's the part I feel like naahhhhhh...

@irascible it sure is, like many other specialized topics in Math. This late in my life, I have to be selective. Unstable systems is not in my to do list. I decided a while ago that we just cannot try to know it all....I could try harder but that would make me unstable !! (Little punch line, why not? Right?)

@irascible OMG - what kind of brain have you? Wearies me to even think of unstable systems - much too many of 'em around - I mean, look no further than the WH

It's like when NOAA does daily weather forecasts. Even with their massive data collection and computer mode!ing efforts they can't make completely detailed predictions. So what they do is run multiple tries dithering the starting states slightly and choose the results that come up the most.

They've found that the butterfly effect makes it so that even the tiniest variations in the starting conditions can have dramatic effects on the results.

The simple truth is that there are a lot of (I'd argue most) systems in our world that we don't understand well enough to predict except in the coarsest way.

Great movie. mind expanding. don't fuck with things you cannot control

Hell of a movie... but no.

Why not?

@CraeftSmith. Time travel from reading a book. Hmmm.... am i getting this wrong?

@BucketlistBob the butterfly effect is when very small actions end up having dramatic consequences.

@CraeftSmith hmmm...i saw the movie. My whole life has been this butterfly effect. Bad and good things that turned my life around.

It's not really a matter of belief. I think it's been demonstrated (not with actual butterflies, though).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.