Agnostic.com

3 8

Weird religious news: Thai Buddhist monks defrocked and expelled from temple after all were tested and found to have Meth in their systems. The temple currently has no monks to run it.

[cbsnews.com]

Beowulfsfriend 9 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On the plus side temporal transcendence, koan contemplation and constant karma hit an all time high.

Taoists encourage a full night's sleep.

Having lived in Thailand I can assure you that not all monks in temples are good holy people. There have been monks charged with crimes and all kinds of things. Sometimes crooks and creeps run into temples and monk-up in order to " make merit' for bad deeds (Buddhist baloney) and avoid punishment. I developed a healthy scepticism about monk dudes walking around in orange garb with bald heads, when I lived there. It's religion, and it's all bullshit, as George Carlin would say.

I visited long ago while in the military. My daughter was an exchange student there as well. Pretty much anybody can become a monk. Most seem to take being a Monk serious and roam around and study or hang at one place.

@Beowulfsfriend I am told that a lot of degeneration set in at the time, when the government allowed service as a monk to count as your national service. Many saw that as the easy option, when compared to the armed forces or the police etc. and you know the easy option never attracts the best people.

@Fernapple yes, that too. Expats know this stuff, but tourists are fooled.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:697819
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.