Agnostic.com

3 12

Men's/Women's clothing

The day after I put all my clothing in the dumpster due to the mold I headed to the outlets to save a few bucks on replacements. It's still hot some days here and finding shorts was difficult so in the Lee & Wrangler store I tried the men's side. Voila! I was thrilled that I didn't have to get shorts at a local convenience store that were lousy quality or booty shorts for teenagers.

Now I have some choice words for clothing manufacturers. Why are these so much better quality? The front pockets are actually usable, in fact around twice the depth. The fabric is a tad heavier and will be more durable and I will be surprised if they don't last for years instead of a season. I held jeans in my size for both genders and the difference in weight was shocking.

WTF?

#WTF
MizJ 8 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I buy men's cargo pants at Goodwill. Men tend to hold on to apparel. Women change styles more often & so quality is sacrifice to turnover. Being in style for most women takes priority over apparel that is well constructed. Look where it is made & that should give you an answer to your question. No unions, exploited labor, China, El Salvador. That is the phuque.

It varies for women in re to quality and turnover. There is a difference between fad and fashion. Fads are as you describe, lousy fabric and poorly constructed by non union stitchers in places with low wages. True fashion and classics are the opposite. An example is a decorative scarf. In WallyWorld it would be polyester with machine finished edges, the classic Hermes is all silk with hand rolled and stitched edges. The way they drape and flow are miles apart. I make some of my clothes so often in dressing rooms I turn garments inside out and know what to look for. Teens are drawn to fads, women tend towards quality.

Welcome to the sexism that is baked into the clothing industry.

(Peevish joke: Why can I never find any brassieres in the Men's Department?)

I know. When men start to get to a certain age, and everything starts to sag downwards. LOL

I'll send you one of you put weights in it to get the full experience.

@MizJ The idea of having 15 lbs stuck on the front of my chest somehow does not appeal.

I recently asked an acquaintance how she coped with her very significant frontage. Her answer was "Correct posture!".

@anglophone We should have counter weights to prevent back pain.

Sadly it is probably the same with you that it is in my country. In that there is a deeply sexist assumption that mens shorts are for work and sports, and that womens shorts are for show.

Worse, is that fashion and sports sorts are often much poorer quality than work shorts, even men's. I therefore like to get my shorts, even those for walking and leisure, from a builders merchant/tool store. They are much stronger and have more useful pockets.

Indeed it is the same on this side of the Pond. I know you have Levi's there but I don't know about Wrangler jeans. They probably are for mucking stalls and ranch work. The shorts were definitely more of a work type garment. People think of citrus and Disney World when they her Florida but there are actually a lot of cattle ranches here. I can't be the only woman here or there that owns a compound miter saw! It's going to take some work for me to get out of the garage and back in my house.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:697820
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.