Agnostic.com

1 5

LINK Club Q Massacre: Queer Spaces Welcome Armed Protection

Over the weekend, the paper of record’s editorial board described a “chilling preview of what the future might look like if violence from the right begets violence from the left.”

The event that precipitated those fears at the New York Times offices in Manhattan? A would-be showdown that never was at a Roanoke, Texas, restaurant’s family-friendly drag brunch. An armed far-right group, including Proud Boys and self-identifying “Christian fascists,” turned up to harass brunch-goers — a sadly commonplace form of fascistic intimidation that’s hardly news.

Instead, what concerned the Times about this event was that the armed fascists were met and obstructed by armed antifascists, who had been asked by members of the local community to provide security for the brunch.

In the end, no one was hurt in this alleged portent of political violence and the restaurant owner’s son, a performer at the drag brunch, thanked the antifascists of the Elm Fork John Brown Gun Club for “keeping us safe.” ...

snytiger6 9 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion and repub extremist will be death of us all. Which makes me a little afraid to come out to more my friends that I'm gay.

I wouldn't unless necessary for them to know but, unless they do know, they're just acquaintances. Not people one trusts as a friend, someone who will watch out for you, but that's okay. Not everyone has to meet such standards. The only thing is that you can't be free to be you until you're willing to openly be you.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:697896
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.