Agnostic.com

3 5

New research finds that atheists are just as healthy as the religious

[psypost.org]

Robecology 9 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They should do a study on Religious Fanatics and mental health.

Betty Level 8 Dec 1, 2022

I am totally not surprised by that finding.

Everything I've read on the subject suggests that religion is much more of a societal phenomenon than an individual phenomenon. The way to test its health effects would not be to compare groups of individuals against other groups of individuals, but to compare the health of predominantly atheistic societies against predominantly religious societies. The difficulty in doing that is that there are not and never have been any predominantly atheistic societies. Probably because the ones who tried it could not hold together a functional society.

This researcher is clearly operating with a motive. Could it have been only an accident that the two most potent aspects of religious participation - social support and personality - just happened to not be addressed by the survey he used?

When Dr. Speed finds ANY group, let alone an entire society, whose effectiveness at social support, social cohesion, and personality stabilization rival that of any major world religion, I'll be all ears.

skado Level 9 Dec 1, 2022
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:698087
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.