Agnostic.com

20 2

Do dogs get moody like people?

ebdb 7 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have had 2 dogs that have been very emotionally adept. A black lab I had as a child, would sit next to me when I was crying. He would also stand between people if they were yelling or getting mad, or even when they were loud and joking around. He would get very upset and we would have to calm him down.

Right now I have an Akita who will sit with you if you are depressed or sick, he won't leave your side and isn't himself until you're ok. So in my book, this is a "mood".

This is a video that struck me, I saw it some time back but I think it sums up the fact that dogs do get moody/depressed.

Cats sure as the hell do.

I have a cat that gets moody. Jealousy is often the cause.

Don't know about Moody, but my dogs get the zoomies

Ha ha ha...at first I read zombies and I was like whaaaaaat?????? ???????

Of course
Dogs have an emotive brain area
Dolphins and Whales have much larger emotive brain areas than humans, something we suspect might be related to mass beachings. Their sense of connection, of emotional devotion to the pod might be so strong they all beach and die if the leaders sense of direction fails, even if their own sense of direction and sonar tell them death is imminent, they cannot abandon their companions, it is unthinkable.
Just a theory based on their brains and actions.
Cephlapods have as many as 9 brains and show intelligence beyond that os chimps in some tests.
Isn't that comforting?

I do not view animal consciousness as "less than". It might seem lesser to us is the case of some animals, and some people still attribute supernatural abilities to dogs and cats. Hearing or seeing things which are not there and so forth.

I view animal mind as utterly alien, and try not to impose my presuppositions upon it, as I am largely ignorant of what data feeds into it sensorily. I can only guess how that data then affect a mind behind it.
An insect can see ultraviolet light quite often, but we are blind to that.
Your cat can hear the electricity humming in the walls, and smell the ozone of a short in that circuit long before it burns out or causes a fire. It can see the motion of a mite invisible to your eye crawling on your leg, and to your annoyance try and catch it.
Your dog might be able to detect cancer, some can.

Many animals have an emotive brain, and as such can be moody at times. They can also be hormonal, and go through developmental periods not unlike humans, "The terrible twos", "teens" and so forth.

Since we are animals, primates, and we have these things. Why is it so hard for some to see it in others?

If they are down, unless a friend of theirs, either dog or human, or whatever, is missing, they are almost certainly ill/in pain! Get there to a vet!

Pissed and happy, calm and excited... all the time. And Bella snores and talk on her sleep. And that is why I got a problem with pitbulls and other similar type, THEY CAN HAVE A BAD DAY IN THE OFFICE, LIKE US.

From my experience (well not exactly as a dog) I'd say most definitely.
I have a rescued greyhound, who while grateful to be loved and housed, will sulk when left alone, not acknowledge my presence when I return, turn her back when displeased; and yet moan and groan with contentment when happy.
I'd go so far as to say their moods are similar to that of any life partner.

I believe they do. When I'm getting ready to leave in the morning for school, my dog looks sad and mopey. When it's time for a walk or a ride in the car he is bouncing with joy.

Not exactly like people. People do not tend to get upset when you refuse to throw a ball at them. But there is absolutely no doubt that dogs can get depressed, feel love, be excited and happy, and have a full range of emotions like humans.

Oh yeah, they have good days and bad days , and it shows in their behaviour

Dogs live in the now so don't hold grudges but they are intelligent so act according to how you treat them. how would you like people coming and rubbing your head?

Oh, yes please!

@Stevil well I guess you knew her first and she didn't just walk up as a stranger and start rubbing your hair.

@Stevil so you are happy for strangers to just come up and stroke your head?

@StevilI understand that but I think you missed the point lol

Yes

I remember reading a story about testing animals' intelligence where the thing that most struck the researchers was that spite was unique to humans. Humans might say 'if my reward is too small, then I'll stop all the rewards including mine'.
Animals take life more as it comes. They take what rewards are there.

Dogs are by nature social. Is it possible their apparent moodiness is a reflection of the state of others around them?

Spite and its twin-monster Revenge are human flaws. If dogs had those we would have exterminated them all already. As it is it's a large part of why we work so hard to kill each other. Dogs are so much smarter than us in many ways.

My experience with dogs and I would say that's mostly why we love them, they have one mood only, they are always happy to see you..... One of the best unconditional love example I can think of

"Moody"? Does "cabin fever" count? My poor dog was bored to the point of depression stuck in the house all winter...

During the warm months she gets moody if she doesn't get to go for a walk every day. Resentful, restless, agitated. Rainy days make her old bones ache and her young heart break.

My Doberman sure did. He's get kinda nasty when he first woke up.
And pouty when I made him get out of the pool... "Guy, ya been in there for a couple hours, yer shivering"....*grumble grumble*nasty looks

Yes, but they don't hold a grudge like people do. Now cats are another story. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Apr 30, 2018

Oh yeah.... but they snap out of it a LOT faster!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69817
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.