Agnostic.com

5 13

LINK U.S. to reveal scientific milestone on fusion energy | Reuters

(From a report on NPR, I gather that fusion has the same problems as perpetual motion. .. there is always more energy used to create the phenomena than they can get coming out of it. Fusion works in the sun because the fusion in the sun uses the forces of gravity, Which creates quite an obstacle, as although we understand the properties of gravity, we still have no idea of what gravity actually is or what actually causes it, so we can't exactly recreate it in order to solve the secrets of fusion.)

WASHINGTON, Dec 12 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Energy on Tuesday will announce that scientists at a national lab have made a breakthrough on fusion, the process that powers the sun and stars that one day could provide a cheap source of electricity, three sources with knowledge of the matter said.

The scientists at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California have achieved a net energy gain for the first time, in a fusion experiment using lasers, one of the people said.

(By "net energy gain" they are not including the energy used to power the lasers they used to create the fusion.)

snytiger6 9 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds promising. Hopefully it can get generated quickly in a manner that provides enough power for all. If it all comes online in five years then the sudden drop in C02 feels like it might work but it would have to be near 100% everywhere. If this is not done then it feels like humans were just shy of bright enough to survive.

Does sound good……..but don’t think big oil is gonna be silent.

The achievement is likely to be dubbed a hoax. Seriously. Scientists lying about something or other that will demand they be fired and cast into Hell.

I expect they'll scream like a mashed cat 😂

@rainmanjr Exactly! Casting doubt on science is their MO.

Actually if the energy produced is even 1 Nanowatt (.000000001W) Greater than all the energy used to create the energy pulse output...INCLUDING THE ENERGY USED TO GENERATE ALL INPUTS/CONTROLS and STABILIZATION....then it is indeed a true fusion reaction. The reaction has to be self sustaining. Much larger and longer reactions will need to be obtained before it can be commercially viable but it is a giant step in the right direction. Fusion is a self sustaining, positive feedback loop. Keep in mind that mother nature uses Gravity to force Hydrogen atoms together...that is basically a black hole that isn't quite a black hole...almost all the force but just shy...our science is attempting to recreate that force using electromagnetic containment and Lasers to ignite it. Temps I believe have to be raised 100 times the tempurature of our Sun...and it all has to be contained. Not an easy task. BUT...progress IS progress and as the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day".

I am of the idea that gravity is a mistaken term for magnetic attractions. If so then a strong enough magnet might perform the task.

@rainmanjr gravity and Magnetism are two entirely different properties...magnetic fields are used to force the Hydrogen ions together(simulating the force of gravity that nature applies) the LASERS heat the Hydrogen Ions to a temperature WAY hotter than our sun causing the Hydrogen Ions to FUSE...creating Helium...which in turn creates an energy pulse when a Nuetron is created or ejected?(if I understand the science as was explained in a video). The energy released is NOT radioactive and the energy pulse is what is harvested. I wish I had another 70 years to study Atomic Physics 😂

@phoenixone1 Then a magnetic field could simulate gravity? That's what I said.

@rainmanjr yes...sorry, I was in fact agreeing with you. Many people unfortunately do think the two are the same.

It sound promising and could be better resource than what we are using now.

Looking forward to hearing more about this. It could be a game changer!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:700113
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.