Agnostic.com

6 29

Why give people free will and then punish them for exercising this free will?
#agnost #atheist #freewill #dogma #choice

ChrisAine 6 Dec 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very human of it.

But it also turns out that the birth of certain people are the biggest mistakes.

@ChrisAine Even that’s generous!! It’s in the millions.

Free will isn't "given" by anyone or anything.
Hence, there is no one to "punish" anyone for exercising it.

The old carrot and stick, grab the carrot and get hit by the stick.

And yet, that is exactly what has happened. We were made with faults built in, and we suffer because of it.

skado Level 9 Dec 15, 2022

@ChrisAine
I agree that it’s the fault of the maker, but assigning blame doesn’t solve the problem. The human still has to live with the faulty construction.

And yes, there are some things we can do to reduce the suffering, but that suffering isn’t in an imaginary afterlife. It’s here and now.

So as long as theists and atheists take the mythology literally, they both miss the remedy, and we remain here in hell, good company notwithstanding.

A metaphorical reading reveals a path to liberation from that suffering while we are alive.

It all reminds me of the saying “Misery loves company.” Personally, I’d rather lose the misery than to be comforted by the company of other miserable people.

In any case,
Best regards

@skado A metaphorical reading alters nothing. Except that it give more freedom of interpretation for evilly intended to use. Religion interpreted metaphorically is still basically a source of fake authority used to justify things which its controllers can not justify by reason, debate, or appeal to popular judgement.
There is no faulty construction, humans are evolved, not made or constructed, and evolution, because it exist in the real world, always falls sort of perfection, but it is value free, and therefore can never be faulty. If faults with it are therefore found, the fault is with the culture doing the finding.

All through Genesis it seems that god just did not get it. He also insisted on populating the planet through incest repeatedly. I've heard modern preachers use this as a valid reason of why we are all "born in sin." No, dude. That was god's plan.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:700329
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.