Agnostic.com

8 6

LINK Scientists In Alaska Find Mammoth Amounts Of Carbon In The Warming Permafrost : Goats and Soda : NPR

WE HAVE 20 YEARS BEFORE 4/5 OF OUR BIOSPHERE BECOMES EXTINCT ,^:
A short drive north of Fairbanks, Alaska, there's a red shed stuck right up against a hillside.
Behind the door is a geological time bomb, scientists say. No one knows exactly how big the bomb is. It may even be a dud that barely detonates. But the fallout could be so large that it's felt all around the world.

Now there's evidence that, in the past few years, the bomb's timer has started ticking.

The permafrost is packed with the remains of ancient life. From prehistoric grass and trees to woolly mammoths and woolly rhinoceroses, just about every creature that lived on the tundra over the past 100,000 years is buried and preserved down in the permafrost.

And all this life is made of carbon. So there's a massive amount of carbon buried down here.

"The permafrost contains twice as much carbon as is currently in Earth's atmosphere," Douglas says. "That's 1,600 billion metric tons."

In fact, there's more carbon in the permafrost, Douglas says, than all the carbon humans have spewed into the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution — first with steam trains, then with coal plants, cars and planes.

They were ancient bacteria. And once they warmed up, they were hungry. The bacteria started converting the carbon that's in dead plants and animals into gases that cause climate change: carbon dioxide and methane.

Dougy 7 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are craters showing up all over the northern tundra, particularly in Siberia, they are caused by eruptions of methane gas trapped under the permafrost that is being released explosively when the permafrost melts because of global warming. Methane is a very potent greenhouse gas, about 30 times more potent than CO2.

Welp, bye guys. I'm leaving Earth and heading out to the sea of stars. Sure, my rocket is made of cardboard boxes, and duct tape, but it's got a stereo system, and an Amazon Kindle Fire! That should hold until I reach Mars, right? Guys? H-hello? Is... Is anyone listening to me? Awe dangit...

Welp, bye guys. I'm leaving Earth and heading out to the sea of stars. Sure, my rocket is made of cardboard boxes, and duct tape, but it's got a stereo system, and an Amazon Kindle Fire! That should hold until I reach Mars, right? Guys? H-hello? Is... Is anyone listening to me? Awe dangit...

Scary.

And this is why I am not waiting until retirement to travel

We are in the 6th extinction event.
In Siberia we have MASSIVE explosion holes, dozens of meters across in the permafrost. Methane release, buildup and explosion is blowing holes in the uninhabited permafrosted areas of Siberia.

This is ONE of many red flags environmentalists warned about 3 decades ago, but no matter how I or anyone tried, no one listened.

"Mammoth" amounts?

A heard of arctic animals were infected by a strain of bacteria that was , until recently thought benign . The only conclusion was that this new strain was melted from the permafrost , & almost completely wiped out the entire species . This is also a factor in this "time-bomb".

Dougy Level 7 Apr 30, 2018

I read about that too. Everyone is so worried about money, money can't save us, this is beyond irresponsible. I remember when both political parties where concerned about the environment, about 40 some years ago. Now it's just money.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70146
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.