Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK Atheophobia - RationalWiki

United States

Although atheists are banned from holding office in six US states, those provisions are not enforceable.[22] A Myspace atheist group with 35000 members was deleted for causing offense — just by existing.[23]

No admitted or confirmed atheist has ever been President of the United States, although some right-wing skeptics have claimed that Obama is an atheist.[24] Some other presidents have been rather secular throughout their lives or seem to have "lost their faith" at some point and a handful even omitted the (optional) phrase "so help me God" from the oath of office. While all this is fine basis for speculation, it is virtually impossible to ever conclusively prove anything about the privately held religious beliefs[note 2] of all Presidents, much less the dead ones. Considering atheophobia, however, a President who is indeed atheist would do well[note 3] to "stay in the closet" about it. In Congress, there have only been two Representatives who have proclaimed themselves as atheists, Democrat Pete Stark and Democrat Barney Frank.[25] Stark kept his seat for 40 consecutive years.

However, a 2011 op-ed in The New York Times claimed that atheists had been overtaken in unpopularity by the Tea Party, oddly enough.[26]

According to a 2014 survey by the Pew Research Center, the public has about equivalent negative feelings towards atheists and Muslims.

zblaze 7 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No chieftain of any major religious organisation would ever publicly admit that s/he is an atheist, just as no McDonald's manager would publicly admit to be vegan.

I am what I been all my life never ask anyone on religion, church or god. But remembering my pal Danny (RIP). When his GF Canita after a wild life in the 60-70's embraced religion...He said to me... "the sex ain't that great anymore and I told her I am not carrying her bible, do not match with my clothes." Danny was a Dresser! I simply said... "yeah buddy I thought the Freak Spirit is casted out off the Flesh, same thing happened to Alfie, another Dresser, remember when he converted, his wife became a Lesbian, he ended up with 2 bibles and no woman. So Danny you got a decision to make, it will be a shame to see you on drags, I wouldnt know what to tell all the girls we chased together when they ask about you". Not that this has anything with your post I admit. But now the thoughts out of my head... I can move on 40 years lighter!!!!

I suspect that several presidents were atheists but never admitted it. Or, their personal definition of god was so vague or natural that most voters would have suspected they were atheist if it had become an issue. It is smart to not show your cards all the time to everyone.

I suspect that several presidents were atheists but never admitted it. Or, their personal definition of god was so vague or natural that most voters would have suspected they were atheist if it had become an issue. It is smart to not show your cards all the time to everyone.

Good comments - Of course, admitting to being non religious is political suicide. The name atheist turns religious folk off, so I use other names for labels as I am sure you do also. Secular humanist is my favorite, but others are agnostic, humanist, free thinker,none and skeptic. Usually I describe myself as an atheist very matter of factly without emphasis and immediately go onto other conversation points. I never get a bad comment. Rather than hide in a closet, atheists should be proud about their non-belief.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70152
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.