Agnostic.com

5 9

i am writing this post primarily because its cold, I'm tired of you tube, it's cold, and I've built a question some might like to weigh in on.
earlier today I noticed a nut. a black walnut. it had been secreted in a failing wood joint, yet very exposed. a very hasty or perhaps interrupted stashing...presumably that of a squirrel. So, i have no claim to the treasure. i have no need of it. should i leave it, or move it? just to raise the squirrel aggravation factor of course. is that bad karma?

hankster 9 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Leave it alone honey

Messing with nature is bad karma. Leave it there.
Squirrels don’t remember where they stash things, so every time they find one, it’s like they found a present. Sort of like when I receive an Amazon Prime box.

Leave it if it’s not in harm’s way. Squirrels stash walnuts and hickory nuts throughout my barn.

Leave that nut. Them punk squirrels need it. I found this pecan in my barn (and left it).

skado Level 9 Dec 23, 2022

Unless you are planning on doing repairs, I vote leave it. Some squirrel will find it. Studies have shown that squirrels find about 90% of the nuts they hide.

They have better memories than I do.

@Organist1 Me too.

@Organist1 No they don’t. Every time they find one, it’s a pleasant surprise. They just happen to stash things in places they frequent.

@MsKathleen I believe it there was a large UC Berkeley study that showed squirrels finding one's handed out and marked with location chips.

@Beowulfsfriend Please state that more clearly and provide a link to the study.

@MsKathleen honestly, I don't want to look it up. I've seen videos on the study, etc. You can believe what you want; squirrels aren't all that important to me at the moment. A couple years ago, I trained a few to come get peanuts from me. Then, I cared about how inventive they could be. I also watched them interact and saw a definite hierarchy - Old Gray Ears was on top. I moved; so now, they are someone else's problem.

@MsKathleen Beowulfsfriend is quite correct, indeed there is some debatable evidence that squirrel's brains grow larger in the Autumn to enable better memories. If so they may be one of the few mammals able to grow brain issue in later life.

@Fernapple @Beowulfsfriend I stay corrected. Apologies for my apparently misinformed opinion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:701770
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.