Agnostic.com

5 4

The Five Laws Of Stupidity

skado 9 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am reaching the age where both physical and mental changes make me appear more stupid. Not often do people get to know about it but I am ashamed to admit that old age has diminished me . I hate to think that anyone is trying to deal with stupidity using the theories mention in the posting, rather than compassion and kindness,
After all we have all done something stupid and I guess that EVERYONE will find old age putting themselves in that category

I think both "Philosophers" so called, are assuming that a stupid person cannot change from being stupid. You both give no chance to the individual for the reason of being stupid is that their education lacks one or more vital pieces of information , one vital piece of support or one vital important lesson in life . Any theory of stupidity IS stupid if they do not take this into account. Whether a person gets that opportunity of course is another matter and a stupid person is often forced into practicing basic survival skills with stupidity to the detriment of society.

Education from the cradle is the answer to stupidity, plus of course more money and verified theories of education not baseless theories which do not give people hope of changing.

BTW I think that intelligence is the ability, within oneself, to make linkages in the brain and that intelligence can be enhanced in anyone with patience and the right experiences .

Your last paragraph is exactly the reason why I don't think intelligence can be actively, intentionally enhanced. How does one choose to "make linkages in the brain". I assume that's a physical/chemical process at least as much as it is anything else. If you don't have the hardware, you can't really install the software sorta situation, ya know?
(There's also a whole discussion on 'the right experiences' bit, but that's a rabbit hole involving free will I don't think anyone wants to get into.)

@ChestRockfield No I admit we have to make special efforts to GIVE them the chance to make linkages . That is what education Is. It is not just a set of facts but allowing their boundaries to expand from within.

@Mcfluwster Again, how does one "allow" it or "will" it? We're talking about (at least partially) chemical and physical processes that you don't have any control over. Even if you "give it a chance" it may not happen, right?

@ChestRockfield Linkages happen naturally when you have a good diet and good surroundings of experiences, events,stumuli and situations. . The hardware that you are talking about is obviously the Skelton, muscles and body fluids that feed them. You also have a "software" that is extremely fragile and the lack of good inputs can completely change the character of that being even transforming a young baby into something you would perhaps classify as 'stupid' and lacking in potential. THIS IS NOT RESPECT FOR HUMAN BEINGS . I admit that some genetic abnormalities can produce unchangeable stupidity

@Mcfluwster That is not what I'm talking about when I refer to "hardware". I'm talking about the physical and chemical composition of your brain and the entirety of your past human experience that colors what experiences you'd even be willing to entertain. None of that stuff is under your control, nor is "unchangeable stupidity". But note, that last bit you conceded is actually just part of a continuum. A continuum you have no control over or where you land on it or if you have the possibility or propensity to move within it. Collectively, this is why I disagreed with your initial comment.

This is the same dumb-ass shit Frayedbear always posts. After looking into Cipolla, it seemed like a joke (contrary to what the narrator of the video thinks). IF he was joking, then people shouldn't be quoting it as if it were a serious theory. If he wasn't joking, then he was a fuckin' idiot and people shouldn't be quoting it. But in either case, anyone who thinks these are good arguments is a fuckin' idiot. Enjoy...

These are Cipolla's five fundamental laws of stupidity:

1. Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.
    Patently false, though anyone who knows anything about the word 'always' wouldn't be dumb enough to make this claim. There are, inevitably, people who think ALL humans are stupid, thus, it is impossible that EVERYONE underestimates the number of stupid people because there can't be a number higher than all.

2. The probability that a certain person (will) be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person.
    Again, false. There are obviously characteristics that would increase the probability that a person is stupid. I shouldn't need to go into this. For instance, if you find out that a person averaged 4 car accidents a year with stationary objects every year since they started driving, do you really think there is not even a slightly higher probability they're stupid?

3. A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.
    Not only is it not stupid to cause losses to another person / other people who are enemies, it's actually quite smart especially if the person is your enemy through no fault of your own and/or the potential loss you would incur is not something you value highly.

4. Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake.
    Again, the 'always' with this guy, and he really doubled down this time with two 'always' an 'all times' and a 'constantly'. Look, there's a very easy way to disprove this one. Stupid people buy houses, too. If realtors refused to deal with them, they'd all be losing out on all the commission from their purchases. So in fact, the exact opposite would be true: it would be a costly mistake not to deal with them. This "law" also assumes that you always have a choice who to deal with when you have to deal with someone. That, of course, is also false.

5. A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person.
    Patently false. A smart person who wishes to cause harm is obviously more dangerous than a stupid person. It becomes very easy to see how when you add in a third type of person for comparison: a stupid person who wants to cause harm. A stupid person who wants to cause harm is obviously more dangerous than one who inadvertently causes harm given that, even if only occasionally, the merely stupid person will realize or be informed something could be harmful and avoid it, whereas the stupid person who wants to cause harm will proceed because of that information. From there it is also very easy to see that a smart person who wants to cause harm would be far more dangerous than the stupid person who wants to cause harm because they wouldn't need anyone's help determining the ways to cause harm.

My comment on just #1, it has been my life's experience as a person with an IQ of 143, (tested twice at age 12) that even very obviously stupid people (by any reasonable definition) almost always have at least one area where they could teach you a thing or two if only you are smart enough to pay attention.
So right there, IMO that negates most of this post........

I don't disagree with you about a lot of the interpretations placed on Cipolla, but I do think that he is hard done by and misunderstood to a degree. Cipolla's "stupid" was not originally intended to be the same thing as the popular meaning of the word, it was originally intended to be a technical term and idea, to be used in modeling human behaviour, when trying to create models in economics. For the understanding of things like the workings of the stock market, and for that use, the idea works well enough.

@Fernapple So then it's still the misinterpretation by people like Skado and Frayedbear that is the issue, no?

And not for nothing, but if there was a rich person or company that were to cause losses to themselves in order to cause losses to other people knowing that they have the financial resources to perform stock buybacks while other people suffer, wouldn't that be an example of a smart person who wants to cause harm being more dangerous than a stupid person in the realm of economics? I don't know if that was a perfect example off the dome, here, but you see the failure in his theory, right?

@AnneWimsey It is pretty absurd.

@ChestRockfield You are quite correct on all points.

@ChestRockfield All life is absurd, and only fools think that they can rise above the absurdity.

@ChestRockfield
Chest said: “So then it's still the misinterpretation by people like Skado and Frayedbear that is the issue, no?”

Where did you find my interpretation? I’d like to read it.

@skado Your interpretation/endorsement that it is something worth posting and sharing.

@ChestRockfield
Thanks for the clarification. What do you think Frayedbear and I have in common?

@skado What I just said, that you both think there's value to Cipolla's poorly-reasoned thesis.

@ChestRockfield
Has he commented on it elsewhere?

@skado He posts that CONSTANTLY. I think I've seen him post it at least 10-15 times.

@ChestRockfield
I had never seen it before today, and haven’t given it much thought. I just thought it was an interesting perspective to consider. I don’t see it as right or wrong - just a specialized tool that might be useful for certain tasks. Not a hill to die on.

@skado For what tasks would this be a useful tool?

@ChestRockfield
I don’t know. But It might be.

Of passing interest only.

@skado You don't find that to be a ridiculous assertion? You post something, apparently endorsing it. Then when its flaws are pointed out, you claim it's a specialized tool that might be useful for certain tasks. Then when questioned, you can't even name one task it might be useful for?

What if someone went to an elderly loved one of yours and endorsed an herbal supplement that they began to take. But when you found out about it, you researched and realized it was nothing but a veritable snake oil that had actually been known to cause some health problems. When you questioned that person, they claimed they weren't really endorsing it and just thought it was an interesting idea to consider, and that it might be useful herbal supplement for your loved one to take for a specific ailment. When you asked what ailment, they said they had no idea what ailments your loved one had or if the herbal supplement would help any of them or really any ailments at all, they just thought the idea of someone taking this blend was interesting to them. You wouldn't think that person to be a dumb fuckin' asshole?

@ChestRockfield
Let me know if you’re ever interested in discussing ideas. Meanwhile I hope you’re able to find someone to fight with.
Best wishes.

@skado
Another cowardly move typical of Skado. Floats objectionable bullshit. Gets called out. Pretends he didn't mean anything by it and that you're the one with the problem.
You claim you want to have discussions, but you don't. You get asked specific questions about the nonsense you spew and you throw your arms up like you're simply a lovable idiot and say useless shit like, "I don’t know. But It might be. Of passing interest only." Put your money where your mouth is, own up to the shit you post, have the discussion and defend it, or admit it's nonsense.

I'd heard about this theory before, a refresher course is good for starting out the New Year. 🍾🥂🥳 Have a Happy New Year.

Best New Year to you!

Law #6 Assume you may also be stupid.

The flaw in this theory is that stupid is a very judgmental call. To judge someone as stupid, you are judging yourself as smarter, which is a danger with bias straight away.

What he is talking about is all caused by a lack of empathy.
Without empathy you live in the moment, memory is shit (appearing as you don't learn when in fact you don't recall). Foreseeing consequences is non existent, don't think like that. Always in the moment. Their actions hurt others without really benefiting themselves (talking longer term, "in the moment" short term benefits is all they care about). Vain, no regret. spontaneous.
He is talking about sociopaths and psychopaths (they are not all serial killers). Your selfish, narcistic types.
Stupid is basically the opposite of logic ie illogical. With no recall, mistakes are repeated. Like even though you have done before you have not remembered which appears illogical to normal people with empathy/ recallable memory. We thus conclude they are probably stupid.
Agree their numbers are underestimated by all.

puff Level 8 Dec 31, 2022

I'm uncertain the right word is empathy. I think it's just good old arrogance. It causes us to make assumptions (a more correctly spelled word is impossible) and judgments which are born of an ego that prizes itself above others. I may have had some experience in this malady but have tried to get over it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:702943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.