Agnostic.com

11 0

Die for your beliefs?

If a person who has a different faith than yours were to hold a gun to your head and demand that either you convert to his/her faith or die, what would you choose? Let's assume that these are the only two options.

• 1 vote
  • 19 votes
Spongebob 7 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is an interesting question. We are a pragmatic bunch who naturally want to live but know we are dealing with a gun wielding fanatic. We know there is no reasoning with him so it's best just to humour him.

I put live. Some things are worth dieing for though.

Tejas Level 8 May 1, 2018

I'd tell whatever lie the crazy person with the gun wanted to hear to get them to go away.

One the person with the gun is gone, I'd go back to non-belief again... not that I'd have ever really believed to begin with.

Living for sure

I would convert, but behind my back l would have my fingers crossed. ?

I would lie to live.

I'd lie like a televangelist!

Deb57 Level 8 May 1, 2018

Many of us have had to openly pretend for some spans of our lives anyways, so I'd probably default to live first.

However, I could see a situation where I would be like Socrates when there may be a more important purpose to me dying.

Also, it could be a good chance to openly illustrate how bad religion can be... although I'd hate to have to be the one under the gun to do so.

Always choose life....you can always change your mind later.

Yep

in this case they don't really care if you actually believe or not. One can not be forced to believe what they know not to be true. They in this case only want you to pretend to believe what you do not believe. So to live I would simply put on a good show.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.