Agnostic.com

3 4

Watched an incredible video last night. One thing we donโ€™t really think about, when we talk of life forms, are insects. In the Amazon region are a group of species known as tree hoppers. I donโ€™t think Sci-fi writers could even imagine such bizarre creatures as these.

jackjr 7 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great , thanks for posting. Some science just is not connected to humanity- to witness what nature does successfully and that we could benifit from such demonstrations is encouraging.

One part of the video showed a team in a canoe looking at a certain, unique tree. They estimated that the tree hoppers probably evolved on that tree and are probably unique to that tree alone.

Love watching videos of all the amazing creatures we rarely see. That said I do not like crawly things in my home.

Well, l guess you won't be inviting me over anytime soon. ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Insects don't get enough interest or respect! I saw a lot of amazing birds and plants and mammals in Borneo, but going out into the forest at night (with a naturalist and a flashlight, of course) was just mind-boggling! Check it out!

A clip did show that despite heavy clothing the researchers had lot of insect bites. One guy even had a tick find it's way under several layers of clothing.

@jackjr LEECHES are the worst! We were ''double socking'' to keep them out of our shoes....didn't work! Bornean leeches are erectile...in that they sense our body heat and can extend their bodies out to suck our blood. (I'm convinced that orangutans have all that hair to protect them from leeches.)

My advice to you (when you go to Borneo) is....neverevereverever drop your pants to pee in the forest! That bare bum is a TARGET!

But...in the end (no pun intended)....it's a fascinating place and I'm very glad I was there.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:706570
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.