Agnostic.com

9 6

LINK Religion vs. Spirituality: The Difference Between Them

You may have heard—or even used—the terms religion and spirituality interchangeably. But while they aren’t diametric opposites, neither are they the same. Learn how to tell the difference between religion and spirituality.

For thousands of years, humanity has passionately pursued the Truth with a capital T—the ultimate answers to life and the universe. This perennial knowledge constitutes the answers to what are often called the soul questions:

Who am I?
What do I want?
What is my purpose?
What is the meaning of life?
Historically, from the perspective of the soul, there have been two foundational routes to discover these truths: religion and spirituality. Although they have many similarities and there is a relationship between the two, there are differences between religion and spirituality.

Religion: By definition, religion is a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices; the service and worship of God or the supernatural.

Spirituality: Spirituality, on the other hand, connotes an experience of connection to something larger than you; living everyday life in a reverent and sacred manner. Or as Christina Puchalski, MD (leader in trying to incorporate spirituality into healthcare), puts it, “Spirituality is the aspect of humanity that refers to the way individuals seek and express meaning and purpose and the way they experience their connectedness to the moment, to self, to others, to nature, and to the significant or sacred."

Toyasexy 4 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion - believe the myths other people tell you to believe.

Spirituality - create your own myths to believe in.

Can you prove spirituality is real?

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

I don't believe in a soul/spirit, and spirituality is bullshit.
For me, it is nothing but feel-good nonsense, and has no basis in reality.

So far I have never been convinced that anyone has given an explanation of what a ' Soul ' is or where it is. So it is very hard for me to think of spirituality as anything but part of the "GREAT UNKNOWN".

A "soul" is a construct of the human mind. Without our brain, we are not sentient. The brain is an electrical device, when the power is shut down, for all practical purposes, we are dead... even if the body is kept alive. So this "soul" is really a construct made from electrical current, we "think", therfore we "are". I think it's convenient for many to conflate soul with spirit as a means of a vehicle that goes somewhere sacred. I think of that spark more as an energy that just goes back to the larger pool of energy that surrounds us - it has nothing to do with the construct known as religion, which is a false premise. Meh... now I'm blabbering... lol

Surely you know that the answer to life the universe and everything is 42.

You're right about that

No, no, no. The figure is 52, not 42.

@Jolanta Is that because it is also your age? {joke}

So delete the other two posts about the difference as this one states it better. Then delete the copy of this post. Thanks.

Thanks

Sooooo, you think this is a place to become our teacher? Or have you just discovered these things?

I'm just trying to contribute as new member

It seems you are not into who you are and have been!!!

Most here are beyond these personal inquiries, still we are searching for answers daily as human beings!!!

I think that you will find that, most people on this site are well aware of all of this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:707054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.