Agnostic.com

8 3

How Being Happy Makes You Healthier

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

The ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle said these words more than 2,000 years ago, and they still ring true today.

Happiness is a broad term that describes the experience of positive emotions, such as joy, contentment and satisfaction.

Emerging research shows that being happier doesn’t just make you feel better — it actually brings a host of potential health benefits.

This article explores the ways in which being happy may make you healthier.

TOFERD 4 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just watched a Youtube show on things one needs to do to live to 100 and being positive was one. So was belonging to a church so this makes this study iffy.

There is a link missing I think.

The missing link..😂

@ASTRALMAX No that one was found, it only exists now in creationist mythology, or so the scientists say. But do you know, I sometimes wonder about creationists themselves ?

@Fernapple Creationism is a religious based theory that arose in response to the theory of evolution. I read somewhere that there seems to be a drift towards theory of eternal inflation which states that the universe will expand forever. They are all interesting theories and I doubt that we will ever know if any of them are true. In the 1970's Jack Sarfati an American physicist wrote a book titled Time-Space and Beyond which was quite popular at the time, I think that the word 'beyond' was responsible for its success.

To some extent acceptance of our circumstances, the situation in which we find ourselves is a good starting point on the road towards happiness, acceptance and not resignation. The next step might be to differentiate between what we want and what we need so as not to spend time and energy unnecessarily acquiring things that gives a transient feeling of happiness. I think it was Laozi who said: "the more you want the less you understand and the more you understand the less you want." Happiness is not resident in things but is projected onto them.

It seems to me that the notion of happiness for many people resides in some future point in time, seldom do I see any contentment with the moment in which people find themselves which reminds of a notice hung above the bar in a public house in England: "Free beer tomorrow." Whenever anyone returns the following day and asks the barman for a free beer he just points to the notice. Tomorrow never comes and how many people live a dream of tomorrow, I wonder. 🙂

If happiness were the reason I've made it to my early 70s, then I'm surely well into my bonus years. I've always thought it was my sheer orneriness that kept me going ....

Is that the whole article or is a link to the article missing?

I don't care about healthier, if I could get wealthier I'd be happier.
Aristotle was a cave man, meaning isn't something associated with life, it's just a delusion, but then again he believed in some seriously stupid things, like gods and such.

Trust me, i have been so poor i picked up cans to pay for baby food (Virginia had bottle deposit laws waaaaay back, thank goodness)
And i'm finally fairly financially comfortable, which is indeed a good feeling.
But i am wracked with pain, am having my incredibly painful shoulder replaced in 10 days(3rd major joint replacement in 10 years, incuding the knee that (after the surgery failed) had to be done over).
Plus Congestive Heart Failure, among other things.
If i could feel well enough to pick up cans i would trade all this pain & disabilty in a nanosecond.
You have NOTHING if you feel lousy all the time!!!!!!!!!!

@AnneWimsey I hear you. I'm a diabetic that suffers from crohn's disease and heart disease having had 2 heart attacks, the first one without treatment, and with a stint on the second one.
If I had money I'd spend a lot on doctors.
I should be consuming about $3,000 a month in pharmaceuticals, but due to budgetary considerations I take a 81 mg aspirin every day.... and that's it.
I know I'll die soon, and I'm glad, 21st century American barbarism is what's killing me.

Yet another reason why I'm screwed.

AI's answer to: Do we know why Democritus was called the laughing philosopher?

Democritus was known as the "laughing philosopher" because of his belief that joy and cheerfulness were important components of a good life. According to legend, Democritus was a happy and jovial man who believed that laughter and cheer were essential to living a good life. He is said to have laughed frequently and to have encouraged others to do the same.

In addition to his belief in the importance of joy and cheerfulness, Democritus is also thought to have viewed laughter as a way to cope with the difficulties and hardships of life. He is said to have believed that laughter could help people to see the absurdity of difficult situations and to find joy in the face of adversity.

Overall, Democritus' reputation as the "laughing philosopher" likely reflects his belief in the importance of joy and cheerfulness in life, as well as his view that laughter could be a helpful coping mechanism in difficult times.

AI's answer to my question about why Plato did not like Democritus:

It is difficult to speculate on Plato's specific reasons for not liking Democritus, as there is no direct evidence on this point. However, it is likely that the two philosophers had fundamental differences in their views on a number of philosophical issues, which could have contributed to Plato's negative view of Democritus.

One of the main differences between Plato and Democritus was their views on the nature of reality. Plato believed in the existence of eternal, immutable Forms or Ideas, which he believed were the true reality behind the material world. In contrast, Democritus believed that the material world was made up of indivisible, indestructible particles called atoms, which he believed were the fundamental building blocks of reality. This fundamental difference in their views on the nature of reality could have contributed to Plato's negative view of Democritus.

Additionally, Plato and Democritus had different views on the nature of knowledge and truth. Plato believed in the existence of innate knowledge and that truth could be known through reason and contemplation. Democritus, on the other hand, believed that knowledge and truth could be arrived at through observation and experimentation. This difference in their views on the nature of knowledge and truth could also have contributed to Plato's negative view of Democritus.

Overall, it is likely that Plato's negative view of Democritus was due to the fundamental differences in their philosophical views on a number of issues.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:707487
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.