Agnostic.com

19 7

My boyfriend just got mad at me. I told him I can’t hide it anymore and sit down and had a good talk with him about why the Christian faith makes no sense and that I didn’t believe it. He got all butt hurt and started threatening be with he’ll abd I told him that his hell didn’t scare me, so he’s wasting his breath. He told me I was ignorant and that Satan has tricked me. When I pointed out that god knew eve was going to eat from that forbidden tree in advance before even created then he turned around and punished her for what he predetermined for her to do. Creating the devil in advance when he knew he was going to turn evil and allowing him to supposedly be prince of this world where he knew many people would be going to hell in advance before he even allowed them to be born. There was a huge blow out over this. So bad that I had to ask him to leave and sit for a while. I didn’t think it was possible someone get that damn angry if you don’t believe how they believe. He was completely unaware of the story about the man who was mirderd, which was ordered by the Lotd from picking up sticks on the sabbath. I just need support right now.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First, you are better off without this religious fanatic. He must like has not read his own holy books and does not see the irony in believing in yet another myth.

Second, the Devil is a Christian thing, not Jewish. The Old Testament does not discuss Hell or Satan. IF we were to follow Christ, we are to honor the old laws and writings and, therefore, Hell is negated.

Finally, you live in small-town Oklahoma, in the middle of the Bible Belt and far from OK City. I assume there is not an atheist group within miles, but I bet you can find like thinkers out of the 9000 residents. Look on MeetUp and if nothing is there, then start a group of Humanists. If all else fails, you can go to OK City of Norman. I found the Norman Naturalists for you - they seem to meet on Sundays.

I went through this with my stbx. I decided not to discuss religion with him. We are separated for other compatibility issues.

I suggest you think long and hard about if you want to be with someone who thinks your thoughts and ideas are ignorant. Some people are incapable of agreeing to disagree and will see your disagreements with them as an insult instead of seeing you as someone capable of thinking for yourself.

It’s sad a person can be that brainwashed. I told him he was ignorant for defending a sky daddy. When I started pointing out things even more, he didn’t want to hear no more.

Wow. I'm with you in support but you sure you want to be with this guy?

I’m not with him no more now.

Not easy breaking up with someone. Definitely know what that's like. Hope you're doing ok.

I'm so sorry to hear that they're just possessive people that don't have any faith in life only order. That angry attitude is how he would get everything he wanted when he was younger and the people around him only incouraged it cause they liked having someone that can help get them what they want. Their faith is just how our ancestors kept possessive people in check by convincing them if you're gonna be stupid then theirs always gonna be someone stupider not in life but in death (devil). If he can't accept you for who you are then I would say leave him. He'll just call it a test and continue not caring about your feelings. Christians are very uncaring.

I want the rapture to happen so they can all disappear!

Lol I think its funny how they say all that will be left is their clothes. Yea don't worry about the people running naked in the streets and the orgasmic sounds comming from the bedrooms lets just sit down and wait to die remember its a test.

He's a brainwashed idiot and your best option is to lose him. Because for the next month or two all he is going to do is try to brainwash you into believing that he is correct. Bible banging control freaks are not worth wasting your time on

One of the best sex romps I had in my twenties, was with a girl who was the Local Catholic lay minister's daughter. I'd drop by her house almost every night around 10pm. Her dad and mom both enjoyed being in their cups, and so slept quite soundly by nine thirty. Anyway, the down stairs family room was nice and cozy. Naturally, the fireplace had a mantle covered with religious statues. I used to get giggly when I'd absentmindedly look up at a statue of Jesus conferring his blessing as doggied this minister's daughter. I later would find out that her younger sister used to peek out from the top of the stairs and watch us going at it.

Ironically, the whole thing came to an end when I accidentally left a condom wrapper next to the couch. The Dad/minister found it and, well, that was it. I regret nothing about those two years, and Dad probably saved me from a marriage that would have become quite boring. Laura had no intellectual interests, and the only thing we did was go out to dinner and fuck.

get rid of him he is a fool.

I did!

good x

My wife had never held religious beliefs when we met. I don't think we'd have gotten married if she had been Christian or whatever. Kellie's mom had always told her that the only God, was the one inside you.

We have been involved with Buddhism for the last ten years or so. It's an atheistic organization which believes man's ultimate goal is to achieve personal happiness. Nice people there too.

That sucks, EmeraldJewel. I hope he'll come around... I was Christian for about a year, (decades ago!) until it started to look like nonsense to me. If you care about him and want to stay with him, just realize that people who believe nonsense will defend their belief all day long, until they're blue in the face. He may discover, as I did, that religions are fairy tales written by men to entertain and control other people. If you're not that attached to your boyfriend, then consider separating.. it's probably not worth living with a true believer. I think people are happiest when they can be with someone who shares their ideology and view on religion.

were you a non believer before the relationship started?

turf Level 5 Dec 7, 2017

I was somewhat in the middle, but I was at that time giving the Pentecostal faith a try. It wasn’t for me. He wasn’t always Christian but suddenly started getting into it.

maybe you should just move on and find somebody that believes is you do. It is impossible
to convince something different than what they believe is true. I was married to a religious person
and things were well until our children became adults.. And she decided she could not live with me anymore and got a divorce. My children were allowed to choose anyone to be religious or not.
They did not go to church until they were old enough to realize what was going on. The divorce was a very hard thing to live with. But peoplelearn religion at a very young age and brainwashed
and not many people can leave their religion.

dc65 Level 7 Dec 7, 2017

I won't date anyone in a religion. I've been single so long, I've forgotten what it's like getting into arguments.

You should not get into arguments with the person you care about so next time
I have a person like me, I prefer to discuss things and come to a compromise
the person you searching for, or would like in your life should have your view
about important things that make people compatible. If you are older I would fall in love with you.

I’m glad I’m not alone in this.

Thanks.

No thank you. Lol.

Hang in there...
You're probably better off in breaking up now , than later..
Being bright and beautiful, I think you'll do just fine !!!

Sorry. Maybe that’s why it took me so long to find a girlfriend… Not only did I take love serious, I wasn’t sure if I could find anyone lacking god beliefs. Eventually, I did, and we had a pretty good run. But I’ve lost count of how many marriages eventually ended over ‘religion.’ I’ve a sister who could be ‘exhibit A.’

Not only do they end over ‘a god or not,’ but over which flavor of religion each are. I’d usually hear the perspective from the non, or least religious one. Something like, ‘I didn’t know he took it so seriously?’ Or, ‘we thought we could work out the differences,’ Or, ‘when the kids came along, religion became more important’... I concluded, and remain convinced that you’ve both got to be on the same track, or you're headed for a wreck… Damnit 😟

...feels like I’m giving fatherly advice, but when I do, I try to respect everyone’s feelings, including ‘his.’ So, you know what he thinks, how fair is it to him to expect him to change? Though new, I’ve been impressed by your youthful wisdom, thus it’s sad to consider what’s just happened.. But as much as I’d suggest you respect his feelings - prioritize yours ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 7, 2017

You're giving the bible and the entire Christian faith too much credit in your argument.

Don't even acknowledge that god EVER existed, or satan, or any of the characters in the bible for that matter.

By letting him see how little you believe in it, maybe it will make him see it from your perspective, at least somewhat.
It's only a story to you, don't treat god as anything more than The Tooth Fairy.
No heaven, no hell, no fear.

Taking your advice and running with it.

People need to talk about issues like this early in the relationship. Probably best that you found out now, rather than later.

Sounds like you have a lot of thinking to do and when he is calm some talking. Remember he has as much right to his beliefs as you do so respect is key.

I wish you well and hope your next conversation is a rewarding one.

Take care.

Betty Level 8 Dec 7, 2017

Maybe look at this as a sign that you need someone in your life who is more accepting of your life path. Obviously, you see it as a big enough deal that you needed to come clean about it and he was clearly not supportive when you did. To me, that would be a huge red flag.

Sorry if this response seems too forthright, but I've never been one to sugar coat things.

...thirded ~

It was point on!

Putting religion aside, if we can't respect our partner's right to have their own beliefs, the relationship is guaranteed to be an unhappy and non-supportive one. I have opted out of relationships over beliefs that were going to be very problematic, such as racism, sexism, homophobia, and a basic inability too empathize with others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7078
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.