Agnostic.com

4 5

Pet peeve time... I keep hearing journalists use the word "calculus" in political discussions. What they mean, I think, is "calculation". I know what they mean but I am not sure how this usage started.

Omnedon 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What drives me crazy is when they start their response to every question with "So.......".

So is a coordinating conjunction and should be used to connect two other words or phrases, not to preface a reply.

I also hear a lot of journalists starting their replies with "I mean....".
I know that's what you mean if you're saying it.

Journalists use a lot of words that show their stupidity (to reference another post). They are English Majors but can't write or speak a proper sentence. They get so twisted trying to define every detail that a sentence takes up the whole segment. It should be assumed that we are aware of what Watergate was about or what Bob Woodward does for a living, for instance. SMH

The use of the word "calculus" to mean "calculation" in political discussions likely originated from the field of mathematics, where calculus is a branch of mathematics concerned with calculating rates of change and slopes of curves. In a similar sense, politicians are often said to be making a "political calculus" when they are making a calculation or assessment of the potential risks and benefits of a particular course of action. The metaphor highlights the idea of weighing different factors and considering multiple perspectives before making a decision.
Unless of course they're Republicans, when they use the word "calculus" it's like an actor saying medical words while pretending to be a doctor. Otherwise they would have actual policy positions that could be evaluated logically, but instead it's more like fans of a sports team that gets too rowdy, and to make themselves sound as much as possible at war with anything that doesn't correspond with the old white power structure. Sure they like black people, just so long as those black people support their superstitious and racist power structure. Like Justice uncle Thomas.

I prefer geometry or typing myself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:708021
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.