Agnostic.com

4 8

A lady posted a comment on my local "Next Door" neighborhood gossip page about a woman who came to her door ostensibly canvassing for solar panels, and wouldn't go away when rejected. Another man asked, "Why are people afraid of everything these days?" I commented on that, but my comment was not allowed to be posted. Here is what I wrote:.."Steve: Because the MAGA, Proud Boys, N.R.A, Q Anon-backed Republican party is running our federal government, Supreme Court, and apparently the D.O.J. They will probably even have the presidency again in two years ( if not earlier). That's a "hat trick" for totalitarianism. Under Fascism you will never be safe again, even your own house. This is what 20 % of American voters apparently want! The rest vote reflexively for the party they have always backed, without bothering to learn that it is no longer what it was.

fishline79 7 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I disagree because the fear, IMO, started long before 45. I think it started when the No Fear clothing line became popular and the building fear is why it was popular. I think people are afraid of scarcity, from climate change, so are joining prosperity ideas. The Secret and Course In Miracles were the early indicators of this fear.

The point I was trying to make is not about when our current fear started. If that were the case you could take it back to the "Commie" and nuclear weapon scare of the fifties. My point was that our current insecurity among a large percentage of the population is the fear that the system we have been lulled into taking for granted may soon disappear under the current Republican party rule. At least that's my fear!

@fishline79 I took your point but threw in when I noticed the fear. Cons outweigh the concern of Dems taking it away but both lead to much greater govt authority over our lives (which is already significant). Dems just do it in a more institutional way because we favor creating lots of jobs. It keeps people busy and they don't notice how every step we take, or move we make, has become even more regulated. I vote a Dem ballot but my eyes aren't clouded about public shaming and guilty until proven innocent. I think most folks are at least a little aware of our mob and sort-of don't like it.

@rainmanjr I disagree, because however "regulated" the government becomes, it is still better than no regulation, which allows enterprising and aggressive extra-governmental or anarchistic agencies to impose their own controls. That's the reason the conservatives and right-wingers are against government regulation. Without government regulations it would be an opportunistic free-for-all, survival of the fittest and most greedy. There would be no trade unions, a condition that Reagan tried to accomplish. Sorry, democracy requires regulations. That's what it's for! The opposite of a regulated economy would be a financial free-for-all where the most unscrupulous like the Elon Musks, Jeff Bazoses and Richard Vigueries (and Donald Trumps) of the world would be like marauders and Vandals. That brings us back to "Fascism", which is what Trump and his "MAGA-Mongols" want us to have!

@fishline79 I did not write that there should be no regulation. I think Capitalism MUST have regulations on it or it becomes a pit for graft. Regulations can become too numerous or onerous, however, and bog down the program. If Dems are able to regulate speech (which is the real big fear) then we have a Brave New World (liberals ran Huxley's vision). From what I see, Huxley was closer to right than Orwell.

@rainmanjr What are you talking about? Liberals don't regulate speech, Conservatives do!

@fishline79 Oh yes they do. If you can't see that then you're blinded by the tribe. Censorship (rather by official Censors or societal shaming) is regulation.

@rainmanjr It isn't the Democrats who are banning books. It's Republicans! Are you practicing "Trumpian Projection Politics"? And if you don't know what "projection" is. It's accusing your opponent of your own faults.

@fishline79 I didn't mention banning books at all so you're just not seeing what I'm writing. I suppose that's my fault but we'll have to leave it at that. Maybe your eyes will open overnight? But I'll try this, when certain words can't be spoken, or certain emotions can't be expressed, without negation of an ability to work and seek happiness in society then we have an oppression. That is an authoritarian society. Just because it's all based on liberal good intentions makes it no less desirable than one based on religion and Corporations.

@rainmanjr I think the problem is that you are confusing the two political schools.
"Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on the rights of the individual, liberty, consent of the governed, political equality and equality before the law. Liberals espouse various views depending on their understanding of these principles. However, they generally support private property, market economies, individual rights (including civil rights and human rights), liberal democracy, secularism, rule of law, economic and political freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of religion. Liberalism is frequently cited as the dominant ideology of modern times."

@fishline79 Thanks for the education. Have a great day.

Depending on where one lives, there are pockets of cities and towns that are filled with low information, low intelligence voters, and they are making their voices heard that they want what MAGA tells them they want. I saw exchanges on the next door site I used to belong to that would denounce and block anything that went against their beliefs.

Not a surprise. I've left that site twice (I tried giving it a second chance) because of the blatant racism, and people had their little fiefdoms going on and entirely too much time on their hands with which to run them, so you were probably singing to the choir.

When Next Door contacted me to find out why I had left, I answered honestly that I really wish I hadn't got to know my neighbors better than I had.

Right in. I live in Cumberland County, PA, one of the most conservative counties in PA, and as such, the country.

@fishline79 I live in PA too, but in one of the more liberal counties. My son is in Luzerne County, which he hates with a passion, but has to stay there, at least for a while, until he finds another job.

Yes, that website is restricted to very limited use, in my experience.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:709100
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.