Agnostic.com

1 2

A report today highlighted a contentious issue with reporting child abuses by the clergy. In many states (oddly conservative ones ) what is disclosed, in the confessional is not exempted from disclosure to the authorities. In some states, as Washington, it is. This exemption is, of course, led by the Catholic Church and Jehovah’s Witness. ”Priests, pastors and bishops from various faiths say both sides of an apparent collision of ideals are sacred to them: protecting children from all forms of abuse, and keeping confessions confidential so penitents feel safe and motivated to acknowledge and stop their sinful — and sometimes criminal — behavior.” [deseret.com]. I also learned of another group I did not know existed “The Association of Secular Elected Officials.” [secularofficials.org] The existence of this group is some cause for hope.

jackjr 7 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't get that hope up too high. In fact, just get high and try to forget about it. Religion can be dealt with, I think, but few have enough passion for doing it. Apparently humans would rather argue instead of actually do something but we don't have much time left even if they did. It would take a generation, or two, and Earth isn't waiting for them.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:709622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.