Agnostic.com

9 0

belief?

So God religions believe in a god when there's no proof there is one. Atheism is a belief that there isn't even though there's no proof there isn't. And agnostics are open to the idea but just need proof.

What if you take belief out of the picture. You just don't believe in anything, or want to. Even if you had proof, you don't care, cause it won't change life as you know it. It there a label for that?

Deadpolk 2 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like cmadler's name for it. Apatheism. That sounds pretty darned close. And, technically, you're not wrong. Whether a God exists or not won't really change my stance on life, nor will it change how I interact with people. I do believe in one, but I don't really see God to be involved in the lives of its creations anyway, so it really doesn't matter if God is there or not. Goodness is meant to be done personally, out of kindness for others, or at least for the good, fuzzy feeling you get when you do something for others. I don't need a God to tell me that, and I don't need God to help me with anything in my life. I was made with strength to do things myself.

The basis of your question is not logical. If you take "belief" out of God religions, you have nothing because that belief is baseless. Atheism is not a belief because there is no baseless belief to take away from it; atheism is a lack of belief. Now, if there was proof of God, then you would have a belief to take away from the stubborn atheist who still refuses to acknowledge this proof. But, this is not the case.

godef Level 7 Dec 10, 2017

The best term I've heard for what you're describing (the existence of a god is irrelevant) is "apatheism"...it's the "I don't know, and I don't care" 'ism'.

I haven't yet read anyone elses response but I'm sure it was pointed out to you that atheism is a rejection of the claim that God is real. It isn't a rejection of the possibility that a God could exist. An Atheist just hasn't been convinced that this claim is supported by any evidence

There is plenty of proof that there is no God, at least not in the sense that the world's religions convey IT. One only has to look at all of the different interpretations of the Gods to know that they disprove each other while sharing some of the same root myths. But beyond that, the burden of proof is on the believer. We do not pretend to know if their is a "God" we just know the bullshit they speak is exactly that, bullshit.

You can't say there's no proof because there are so many different interpretations, because one of these could actually be correct. But as you say, the onus is still on the believer to show the proof.

I can say that. If it was true, then the original would have shown itself at this point, since all of the stories say such a being can do so. Because IT continues to hide itself, that is the proof. It has had ten thousand years to set the record straight, so to speak. Of course, this is the opinions of an atheist YouTuber.

That you can say "IT continues to hide itself" speaks to my assertion: you cannot logically prove something doesn't exist. What if IT decides to stop hiding and prove us wrong? Of course, we're confident we're right.

Your definition of atheism is slightly off.
Atheism isn't a belief, it's a lack of belief in a god(s). The burden of proof is on believers because they are making a positive claim.

The closest thing I can think of for your question is ignosticism.
The philosophical position that existence of God is meaningless because the term "god" has no unambiguous definition. Ignosticism requires a good, non-controversial definition of god before arguing on its existence.

Even if the god of the bible showed itself in front of me right now, I would acknowledge it's existence but I would never worship the son of a bitch. I believe Matt Dillahunty said that.

Correct. Atheism is a belief like bald is a hair color...

secular i think is the word

Buddy you just stumbled onto the point of it. You're just a little off. Atheism isn't belief that there is nothing. Atheism is not believing in anything. Not believing. Belief in my mind is delusion on purpose.

That is a life of drifting in a random, meaningless manner.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7102
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.