Agnostic.com

7 1

there are so many marriages and yet the number of divorced are more than people staying in marriage.....my question is why are still encouraging people to be married tho seems this generation coming will be lots worst cos respect is gone,tolerance,patience wasn't there either so as communication .......as for me i will preach friendship before marriage ,people should make a good friend and as well as living together before getting married,again finance and sex are also very important ,this is one cent of my opinion tho

samfordman 2 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I could never be married ever again. To be 'tied' to another person for the rest of your days? That's how I see it. No, thank you. If I ever hook up with someone again, as in a relationship, that person will need to have their own place.

Consider that marriage or matrimony was literally the act of making a woman a mother. In a primitive setting both the mother and child were especially vulnerable. Marriage wasn’t the warm and fuzzy Hollywood or dime store romance novel relationship that most people think of in our time.

We have the ability to move beyond marriage, it isn’t as necessary as it once was. However, I think we are free to choose. Maybe living off grid in a more primitive fashion is a good thing. We don’t all have to be industrialized machinations. Or maybe, just maybe we could learn to get along and not condemn those who don’t believe marriage is necessary or put down those who choose to marry.

Why do you say that "respect is gone, tolerance, patience wasn't there either" in the coming generation? Which generation are you referring to? Millenials? Gen Z? Gen Alpha?

Thank you for sharing that "one cent".

“We” are not encouraging it. “I” have been actively discouraging it for decades. I always recommend a domestic partnership, with legal documents outlining all financial aspects, as well as domestic responsibilities. Nobody listens to me. The church and the state are strong in their advocacy.

The only reason there weren't more divorces when l was young because women had very few options for earning a living, and there was such a stigma surrounding divorce. I can think of four couples on our block who should have and would have gotten a divorce if it weren't for the above mentioned. Our parents were the exception, and that was a good thing.

Marriage the holy bondage of one woman to one man. I sometimes miss marriage particularly at tax time, then I remember all that goes with it.
We can stop divorce by ending the insane institution of marriage.

Marriage is a contract granted by the state. A religious marriage holds no water without that contract. That contract does help with the division of property and the financial support for the children. I'm not sure how you get around those problems without getting eaten up with legal fees.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:710349
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.