Agnostic.com

8 7

Hospice Hell
You don't dare say anything against "Hospice"! Everybody thinks they are saints, but they are just a parasite that feeds off Medicare. My best friend had an experience with hospice when his mother was living in a Catholic nursing home and was apparently beaten by an attendant and left with one eye virtually bulging out of the socket. I took pictures and even doctors who saw them cringed. The nursing home was cited for other abuses and eventually shut down although the nuns never admitted any responsibility. After a short stay in the hospital, she was transferred to another nursing facility, dying of a brain infection due to her injury. No law-suit could be filed against "Villa Teresa" in Harrisburg, PA because they were bankrupt and all the lawyers said she was too old! (93). All of her money had been drained by various former "aging-care facilities" and, as there was nothing anybody could do for her, she was put under 24 hour "EXCLUSIVE CARE" of Hospice of Central PA. After she had been under their care, and the nursing facility was not allowed to do anything for her, my friend, her only living son or family member, and soul advocate, went into the 'home" to check on her. Roughly six hours after she was assigned into the care of Hospice, my friend received an urgent call for him to come over immediately as nobody from Hospice had shown up. Her room was empty and she was lying in her own filth and nobody had attended to her. The nurses in the facility were very upset, but were legally unable to do anything for her. When my friend saw her condition he immediately signed-over the custodial care back to the home and reported the incident to Medicare. The nurses at the Penn Manor Nursing Facility rushed back in to attend to her needs but she passed away a few days later. Nobody from Hospice ever saw her and when my friend contacted them to report their neglect, they said that it must have been due to a clerical error. Medicare expressed outrage when he reported the situation to them, but he never had any further communication and subsequently discovered that Medicare was billed several hundreds of dollars from Hospice. Apparently the money was the first step in the progression of their care. Perhaps this is an isolated incident but it is the only one that I have been experienced to offer.

fishline79 7 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I read a recent report here in Allentown PA ,,,by the health dept.- most of the infractions were : not wearing proper ID;
or thier first aid/ CPR had lapsed; not issued proper masks or similar infractions. But I guess if u are a charity to begin with ( run by a church )
a lot can escape notice.
I am sorry u experienced this - PA's
population is aging rapidly/ my experience with 2 recent deaths were a slow decline due to Althimers(my sister
and her husband) - the expense of medicine & care is a double WAMMY.
My brother-in-law died first / as a vet he had hospice care, but was at atleast 3
locations,,,after waiting months( before covid)- I don't think they got the medicine right ,as he never recognized me after he was in care.
It looks like triage/ rationing for aging facilities. And it looks to get worse
as demographics shift .
Thanks for the post .

I am not sure I understand this .
Was she living at her house w hospice care ?
Was she living at a facility w hospice care ?
Was she living at a hospice facility ( I don’t think that the one ).
Either way, hospice services are not a maid , a cook, or the one to give u care 24/7.
Hospice visits two-3 x a week . And if actively dying , daily or twice a day . Their job is to make sure end of life meds are working , comfort . And support family .
If his mother was living alone , then she needed regular home heath or private care if she couldn’t clean self / house .
If she was living in a nursing home and under hospice care , the nursing home are responsible for her needs / grooming / meals . Hospice visits to ensure no pain .

She had been living in a total care facility after having been beaten at another (Catholic) facility. She was unable to do anything for herself. The new facility lacked the staff to give her the attention she needed and recommended Hospice. My friend agreed and contracted Hospice who would come into the facility and exercise total and exclusive care of her in the new "home". The nurses were no longer permitted to do anything for her. My friend met with everybody involved and the papers were signed, and the Hospice care had supposedly begun. My friend could' make it to the facility for a day or two, and when he did, she had been totally unattended, lying semi-conscious in her own filth and moaning in pain from the massive infection in her eye-socket. He ran to the nurse's station and asked why she was not being attended to and they responded that they had been told not to intervene. My friend quickly contacted Hospice who said they didn't understand why her attendant(s) were not there, whereupon he canceled the service and the local staff returned to her care. They cleaned her and checked on her every hour, taking care of her needs until she died several days later. My friend had talked to a lawyer about suing the residence where she was first assaulted, and also Hospice, for allowing her to die an undignified and miserable death. In both cases nobody would take his case, saying his mother was "too old". Previous to the Catholic facility she had been injured or told she did not meet requirements in 3 or four different "homes" I have seen this neglect from other old people also and have long known that extended care facilities are in the business of taking an elderly person's life-savings and abandoning them, mostly due to lack of staff, whom they pay a pittance! His mother had spent most of her life in public service and was a convert to Catholicism and always carried her rosary. The head nun at the Catholic home was arrogant and denied she had been abused, saying she had fallen. The day before the incident happened, he came in to visit and found her lying naked on her bed, crying, confused and unrestrained. The day of the incident which I have called a beating, they said it was due to her falling out of her wheel chair. (she was supposed to be restrained at all times in the chair and had to be pushed.). He could never prove she was abused, but leaving her unattended and unrestrained in her wheelchair would be reason enough for an accusation of abuse. Any more questions?

Appalling, tragic.

Being conversationally inclined to cruisin' for a bruisin', I shall insist upon CCTV if I'm assisted.

Good god almighty
There's no denying death
Would be better if I never ever had to die from you
Black and blue hatred so true

Last Spring in Virginia they came to my SIL"s house 4 times a day for several months. No charge. She remembered them in her Will.

I'm glad they were there for him.

I will kill myself before going to one of those places!

Not if you are disabled, you won't.

@fishline79 Well, of course I would do it before I became totally disabled. 😉

All I can say is, if unfortunately should have the need for hospice care for a loved one, don't just give him/her up to a hospice without shadowing them as often as possible. Nowadays I would never sign a contract and walk away expecting them to do what is expected of them, especially in the post-pandemic era!

I'm very sorry to hear your story.😥 But I admit i am one of the other side.

My wife and I moved into my father's house in Mesa when he had Alzheimer's and couldn't stay alone any more (my mother was already gone). I was thinking about retiring anyway.

Hospice of the Valley came daily for the last three years and they were an amazing resource. They were almost all trained nurses -- they gave him very good medical care and also bathed him and shaved him every day. Plus they also counseled and supported all of us.
We'd have had much more trouble without them. I won't say anything bad about at least that group.

I'll admit, I have never heard of a similar experience to what we had and have never understood why, except that the poor woman (93 years old) had the worst luck with "senior-living facilities" I can ever imagine, and this was the final insult. But the story is true.

@fishline79
Situations differ obviously.. My father wouldn't have done well in a facility.
I suppose everyone runs into something eventually.
Good luck to you in the meantime.

That's great, and what everybody has a right to expect. My friend and his family has been visited by "bad luck" all of their lives, especially him. Some say that people make their own luck but after living with him for years and seeing the ridiculous, inexplicable things that happen to him for no explainable reason, I have come to consider that there just might be such a thing as "bad luck", and I am completely "un-superstitious".

Elder care in America is shameful. Why don’t people take care of their parents anymore? I realize that some elders need professional care, but most families are not there making sure their parents are safe and well cared for when they have to go into a facility. And lots if elders in facilities could be at home with their family, but their family doesn’t want to care for them.

My mother died when I was a teenager, and my father married the witch from hell. I joined the Army to get the hell out of that house, and never looked back. There was no way in hell I was going to give them any support. I usually lived several hundred miles away, if not further. My sister who was closer had a special needs child, and none of us had any desire to be anywhere close to them. My dad made his bed, and he was stuck with that harpy for the rest of his life.

@HippieChick58 He wasn’t “stuck”; he chose to remain. Your decision to detach seems well-justified to me. My mother married the abusive freeloader from hell when I was eleven, but I still cared for her in her final months. He asked once, “are you staying here from now on?” I said, “yes, I’ll care for my mother until she dies, just as I will care for you,” because my mother would want me to. (he had lung cancer). He said, “my sister will care for me.” I was glad, because that released me from any responsibility. The last time I saw him was the day of my mother’s funeral. I have no regrets.

@HippieChick58 My mother died when I was 8 and my father, desperate to find someone to take care of my brother and me, married a woman about whom he knew nothing. It turned out she was not a bad person but after her first husband had died she lived alone for years and became an alcoholic. My father drank only an occasional beer and was a "good Christian". When I was alone with her she would back me into a corner and rattle on about her former life, or some problem she had, as if I were her psychologist. I was completely baffled by this and thought she was reprimanding me. I have never married and to this day I am an anxiety neurotic with A.D.H.D, and don't like being confined or listening to other people's troubles, although I force myself to be patient with them and always try to empathize. By the way, my father dragged me to church every Sunday while she probably sat at home because "she didn't feel well". You may well imagine my reaction to sitting in the congregation and being preached at for an hour! Of course I grew up to be an agnostic. The only thing I retained from all this, aside from memorizing a couple of biblical passages, like Corinthians 1/13 (which, being an artist, I consider beautiful poetry) was the "Golden Rule" which I still apply to everything I do. That is the only precept worth saving from Christianity. All the rest is just "window dressing".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:710355
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.