Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK Florida’s Anti-Political Blogging Bill Is Just as Crazy as It Sounds -- The Daily Beast

Florida state Sen. Jason Brodeur filed legislation this week that would effectively force any blogger that writes about Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, or any member of the Florida Cabinet or Legislature, to file registration paperwork with the state—or face fines.

This would effectively force independent journalists to go through a similar process as paid lobbyists—who are retained by corporations and other entities with the specific purpose of influencing lawmaking.

The legislation, Senate Bill 1316, is the latest apparent effort by DeSantis and his allies to stifle any sort of opposition within the state. Florida’s GOP, which has grown accustomed to unchecked one-party rule, has long-sought to create a culture of conformity laced with fear around the state government.

Florida’s 60-day legislative session kicks off on Tuesday, and this is one of a number of ludicrous and incredibly dangerous pieces of legislation that have been filed as the GOP enjoys a supermajority in both House and Senate for the first time in the state’s history.

Brodeur told Florida Politics that online bloggers are effectively “professional electioneers.”

“If lobbyists have to register and report, why shouldn’t paid bloggers?” he asked.

This quote shows Brodeur has a very clear misunderstanding of the role of a free press and the First Amendment, but that’s increasingly par for the senator’s course after a scandal-plagued tenure in the Legislature.

Last fall, while facing a difficult re-election campaign in an increasingly Democratic area of Central Florida, Brodeur, whose time in office has been embroiled in scandal, turned to attacking The Orlando Sentinel as a means to fundraise.

But this rhetoric doesn’t come out of nowhere.

Under DeSantis, Florida has turned increasingly authoritarian while he openly touts “freedom” as his mantra. DeSantis has continuously pushed the envelope as to what he can get away with.

In February, DeSantis became the latest Republican to mount an attack on defamation laws. DeSantis hosted a panel discussion on libel, which featured conservative legal minds who were clearly seeking novel ways to weaken the mainstream press.

The landmark 1964 decision in New York Times v Sullivan set the current high bar for public officials to sue the media, making it extremely difficult for them to win lawsuits. But Republicans in the Florida statehouse, led by Rep. Alex Andrade, also proposed a bill earlier this year to lower the bar on who is considered a public figure—as well as a lowered bar on what qualifies as defamation in the first place—effectively making it much easier for them to sue reporters.

With an increasingly gagged media, and fewer resources at major newspapers, DeSantis has been remarkably successful in avoiding the sort of scrutiny he would have had just a decade ago in the same office.

In many ways, despite his rhetoric, DeSantis’ recent behavior looks more Stalinist than anything else. He promotes one-party rule and authoritarian measures to crack down on dissent—for example, just this week Sen. Blaise Ingolia, a key DeSantis ally who is the former chair of the state’s Republican Party, filed legislation that would effectively eliminate the Florida Democratic Party.

It has been increasingly clear for a year or more that DeSantis looks abroad, to the likes of Hungary’s Viktor Orbán for inspiration. In Orbán, we observe a right-wing figure who mixes ethnocentric and religious hues with strict authoritarianism and a crackdown on a free press.

snytiger6 9 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just another repub trying to cover his ass. DeSanits and company don't give a damn about the 1st amendment just there egos.

Why has my state become the canary in a coal mine for the nation that previews a Desantis presidency and end to two party former semblance of democracy? Wait do I now have to register or show my papers since I mentioned Dersantis? Do they presume digging enough into blogger support will reveal…George Soros puppeteer?

Can't we just dig a giant trench across the panhandle and float Florida down into the Carribean with the rest of the junta run islands down that way? Maybe float Puerto Rico up and put it in the place of Florida.

Well that would pretty much fuck me big time, but given my love for bashing Texas, as long as they get reabsorbed by Mexico too, I’m fine. I will become yet another migrant escaping tyranny on a raft to La Yuma:

[slate.com]

In 1949, there was a Bugs Bunny cartoon where Florida was cut away from the U.S.

@snytiger6 Love it!! 😂😂😂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:712447
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.