Agnostic.com

6 2

Have you ever wondered why online dating sites have become so popular?

Have you ever wondered why online dating sites have become so popular? Or maybe you yourself have already tried to find your soulmate on the Internet? In any case, dating sites are a powerful tool that helps people expand their social circle and find like-minded people.

Today there is a huge number of dating sites, and each of them has its own characteristics.
One of the main advantages of dating sites is their accessibility [hookup-insider.com] . A person can register on a site and start communicating with other users from anywhere in the world at any time of the day or night. In addition, unlike real dating sites, a person can be more open and honest on dating sites because they are not constrained by social norms and expectations.

felix54 2 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's fascinating how the landscape of interpersonal connections has evolved with technology, isn't it? The rise of online dating platforms is indeed a testament to the digital era we are part of. These platforms offer a significant advantage in terms of accessibility and convenience. Imagine being able to interact with someone halfway around the world, right from the comfort of your home, at any time that suits you - it has certainly transformed the traditional dynamics of dating and relationships. Also, I think it's easier for most people to confess their feelings through text than to communicate them in person. There's a cool article about this, you can read it here. Might help you someday confess your feelings to someone over text๐Ÿ™‚

Men want to get laid.

Seventy- five percent of men I met wanted sex right away. "Let's go to a motel." My middle finger is twitching.

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

"I got you to meet me, didn't I?" He saw my face when he got out of his truck, and got defensive. Turns out he posted photos of his adult son.

Most often I don't recognize the man I'm meeting. Suddenly my "hot date" aged 15 years, lost his hair and gained 50 lbs.

Well at least this one asks about religion and politics. I'd rather the algorithm weed out those that don't match then having to read through profiles (if they even mention it).

I am doubtful that most single men on dating sites care about compatibility with a woman on religion or politics, instead they mainly just care about her looks, from what women on dating sites have told me. But I can tell you, from my experience on dating sites in my area, most of the women care greatly about compatibility with the men on those two issues. In my experience, most of the dating sites do not seem to factor in those two issues in who they match you up with, so it still falls on the member to weed thru the incompatibles, which is why most women give up or drop out soon after trying dating sites.

@TomMcGiverin I have found that to be true unfortunately. Men don't seem to care that I'm an atheist. But I care that they are religious and I care about their politics too.
In the past I've tried to date religious men, but eventually they start putting pressure on me about reading their particular holy book and that's when things start going down hill. So no more.

@Wander2023 So true. I see women's profiles all the time on dating sites, that say in the profile essay, that they don't think that men even bother to read their profile essays, and for most men, that's probably the case, because those men just look only at the woman's pics, and decide solely from that who to message and who they are interested in. Which explains why, as time goes on, why fewer and fewer women even bother with writing a profile essay or listing much info about themselves. I can't blame them at all. And the dating sites don't care about these trends at all. It's only a matter of time, I think, until most dating sites are like the binder books that cabbies used to carry in their taxis in the old days, for singles to meet other singles thru the cabbies by having their first name and photo in the book of interested singles that the cabby would show to other interested singles. Dating sites will eventually be almost all like that, just pics and first names, not even bothering with the compatibility ?s or listing other info. So glad I appear to be retired from the game now.

@TomMcGiverin i was talking about this with a friend who told me other sites have questions about religious and political beliefs. I haven't used them, but she assured me they did. I'm going to ask her if she has men of different religions/political persuasions try to match with her regardless of what she has entered. She is in her 30s, very accomplished, and extremely attractive.

@Wander2023 I encourage you to ask her about this and I bet that the other sites still match her and other women with men that have big diffs from them on religion and politics, even tho those diffs should be included in the matching process. I really don't think the dating sites really care about those things, except maybe for ones like E-Harmony, that are very expensive and base their reputation on being very good at matching people. I know from my own experiences on Match, POF, and Our Time, for example, that all of those sites would regularly match me with women who were politically conservative and also very religious, as in fundamentalist or evangelical Christians. Obviously, both of those diffs were big enough that the women would always reject me for dating and I too would reject them for dating, but the sites kept matching them with me. So, in summary, I think the matching algorithyms on dating sites are bogus, at least for most sites, as far as factoring in traits of the members.

Of the five sites I tried, during my four years of online dating, the only two that seemed to have a good matching system, were Bumble and E-Harmony. The former one, because I was a man, cost me nothing, the latter was pretty expensive, but both gave me good matches. The diff was that Bumble gave me mostly local ones, while E-Harmony gave me almost all long distance ones.

As far as your younger friend's chances, I can compare her to my niece, who also is very accomplished, about the same age, and very attractive looking. She is in med school in Michigan, a former model, but even she is having little luck with online dating. From what my younger sister, her mother, tells me, online dating is even more of a cesspool for younger folks than us older singles. I guess that is maybe some, tho small, comfort...

@TomMcGiverin I will definitely ask her.

IF you were to find someone on a website it would be like winning the Irish Sweeps when you never bought a ticket

Join a theatre group, or similar. Far better.

I agree with that somewhat, but not so much at older ages like mine. When I was young, in my 20s, and out of college in my first real job, I had a great time with a local theater group in a small city in my state. They adopted me like a family and had great parties, etc., but I never found anyone to date from that group. My guess is that at my current age, it would be even less likely to find someone single and compatible in such a group. As with any age of being single, it's all about the numbers, and a theater group or some other activity group, by itself, is a pretty small dating pool. I can't count the number of women my age I met on dating sites that were trying the dating sites, because they had already been into dance groups, like ballroom salsa, etc. and had already dated around or fished out those dating pools, with no luck, so they were now on dating sites, because it was a larger pool than those individual groups, and had some new people for them to meet.

า“ั†ัะบ ั‚ะธั–ั• ั•ะธั–ั‚

Nice use of font, lol!

@AnneWimsey Cyrillic. I use it on Facebook and Twitter sometimes to bypass algorithms.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:712655
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.