Agnostic.com

2 6

LINK Arizona school board rightly ends contract with anti-LGBTQ Christian college

The Washington Elementary School District will no longer bring on student teachers from the anti-LGBTQ Arizona Christian University

For five years, the board of the Washington Elementary School District had a contract allowing Arizona Christian University to supply them with student teachers.

It’s the sort of agreement that school districts around the country have with various colleges, allowing the colleges to give first-hand teaching experience to their students under the supervision of working educators. At the moment, there are five students from ACU working in the district along with 11 others who are just shadowing teachers.

That contract is now up for renewal, and the school board decided on February 23 that they would end their working relationship after the end of this school year. It was a unanimous vote.

Board member Tamillia Valenzuela, who wasn’t on the board when the contract was first signed, made the motion to end the partnership. She rightly pointed out that the district’s values don’t align with ACU’s and a teacher shortage shouldn’t override the message they want to send to students. (1:08:29 mark in the video below)

For example, ACU promotes “traditional sexual morality and lifelong marriage between one man and one woman.” The school district, on the other hand, actually cares for its LGBTQ students. ACU’s goal is to promote and spread Christianity. The school district respects religious diversity among its student body.

… Are we only performing performative solidarity? Or are we going to dig deep and actually look at the partnerships that we're doing?

Because if we're bringing people in whose mission—who have been told with their institution of education… that, above all else… is to influence people to be biblically minded, how does that hold space for people of other faiths? How does that hold space for our members of the LGBT community? How does that hold space for people who think differently and do not have the same beliefs?

At some point, we need to get real with ourselves and take a look at who we're making legal contracts with and the message that that is sending to our community. Because that makes me feel like I could not be safe in this school district.

That makes other queer kids who are already facing attack from our lawmakers that they could not be safe in this community. 

All of those are fair points. If the district claims to respect its students regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or religious beliefs, then signs a contract with a Christian school whose ideal world would put LGBTQ people and non-Christians in danger, how seriously does this board take its values?

Another board member, Kyle Clayton, chimed in to agree. He added that “proselytizing is embedded into how they teach,” which worried him as a gay man.

… it just takes one off the cuff comment, one moment, to then have trauma for a child that's already vulnerable, already experienced trauma, and it… could last the rest of their life.

Another board member pointed out (correctly, I would say) that just because their values don’t align, the student teachers would still be obligated to follow the district’s policies, not their own faith-based ones, when they’re working at the schools. Was ACU aware of that? Did any of this bother them? (There was no good answer.)

Board President Nikki Gomez-Whaley noted that the possible decision to cease the partnership was not about Christianity. It was about bigotry:

…. For me this is not a concern about Christianity. There are plenty of Christian denominations who are LGBTQ-friendly. So I want to make it clear that, for me, my pause is not that they're Christian so much as this particular institution's strong anti-LGBTQ stance and their strong belief that you [must] believe this to your core and you take it out into the world.

And I simply don't know how a piece of paper can change somebody's underlying value system… even though they may not do anything illegal where they are preaching or using Bible verses. How do you shut off [an] essential part of your being and not be biased to the individuals in which you are in charge of nurturing and supporting unconditionally? So I don't see how that disconnect is possible. 

This is where I feel the board is on shaky ground. It’s entirely possible to work with a Christian school that opposes LGBTQ rights under the condition that student teachers may not use their positions to spread that anti-LGBTQ message to the kids in their care while working for the district. You’re in our house; you have to follow our rules. Again, there’s no proof that any of ACU’s inherent hatred has seeped into the public school classrooms.

But there’s also no legal obligation to renew a contract with ACU. The board voted to end the partnership after this school year—something they have every right to do—and that ought to be the end of it.

Of course that wasn’t the end of it. After word got back to right-wing propaganda outlets, those websites immediately acted like these board members were anti-Christian.

The misleading article on FOX’s website ran with a headline saying the board wanted to “reject hiring teachers with Christian values.” They didn’t specify which values for a reason: It’s a lot easier to pretend these people are anti-Christian instead of honestly saying they’re just anti-bigotry.

snytiger6 9 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Clearly, this is a mixed bag of news. No, the student teachers shouldn't push there bs on students, but if the teachers stay with in the school districts guide line then let keep there jobs.

Good for them. Maybe this shows AZ isn't as lost to Dem values as the militant population would suggest? My reply to FOX is to pointedly ask if they are saying bigotry is a Christian value? Of course, they won't reply.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:712904
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.