Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK Florida's 21-year age requirement for buying guns upheld in NRA suit | Reuters

March 9 (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court on Thursday upheld a Florida law barring people under age 21 from buying a gun, rejecting a challenge by the National Rifle Association gun rights lobby group.

A unanimous three-judge panel of the Atlanta-based 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that the law was in line with the historical tradition of gun regulation in the United States, meeting a new standard for gun control laws set by the U.S. Supreme Court last year.

Florida passed the law in 2018 with bipartisan support three weeks after one of the state's deadliest mass shootings in which a 19-year-old gunman killed 14 students and three faculty members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.

Current Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, a Republican, said at the time that he opposed the law. Two Republican state lawmakers have introduced a measure to lower the age to 18, as it was previously. A spokesperson for Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody said that his office had the duty to defend the law, but noted that the measure would be reconsidered by the legislature.

The NRA sued to challenge the law, arguing that it violated the right to keep and bear arms under the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment by barring adults from buying any kind of gun. Federal law already imposes a 21-year age requirement for handguns.

A federal judge in 2021 upheld the law, finding it was a kind of "longstanding" restriction that courts had upheld in the past. While the NRA was appealing, the U.S. Supreme Court issued its 2022 ruling in a case in which the justices struck down a New York state gun law and found that any gun control measure must be consistent with the nation's historical tradition to be constitutional.

The 11th Circuit panel decided on Thursday that this one was, pointing to more than a dozen 19th century state laws barring people under 21 from buying guns.

Judge Robin Rosenbaum, who wrote the ruling, said that while those laws did not go back to the nation's founding, they were relevant because they were passed around the time that the Constitution's 14th Amendment was adopted, which extended the Second Amendment to state laws.

Two of judges on the panel were appointed by Democratic presidents and one by a Republican.

The NRA did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

In the United States, Democrats generally support gun control measures while Republicans often oppose them.

snytiger6 9 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the 21 restriction is fine unless the person is in the military or cop. It's sad those people died in that shooting.

They can own one at 18 if they join a military or become a cop.

Those are the acceptable exceptions which came to my mind.

If one is not considered responsible enough to own long guns at age 18, then the same standard should be upheld when it comes to voting too, as voting carries with it a heavy responsibility. If I'm not mistaken, one also has to be at least 21 years old in order to consume alcoholic beverages and to gamble, so the minimum age to vote and to serve in the Armed Forces should also be raised.

As for "common sense" gun control laws are concerned, there's no such thing as that in reality. States like California who lead the way in gun control laws also hold the honor of witnessing the most mass shootings since 1999, and a city like Philadelphia which is only about 60 or so miles away from where I live, has the most restrictive laws in the state where gun control is concerned and that place is riddled with violent crime that often times sees random shootings. So much for the laws working, pretty much for the same reason why laws restricting abortion procedures are ridiculous as determined people find ways to skirt around the laws. Legislation like that is for political show, and won't do much to deter crime in the long run.

Until the Vietnam War, the voting age was 21. The argument for lowering the voting age was that if a person is old enough to die for their country, then they are old enough to vote. They could have just raised the draft age to 21, but they didn't. They wanted minds they could easily mold into killing.

California may have the most mass shootings, but they also have ten percent of the country's total population. So, just form the start they should statistically have more mass shootings. California's gun laws are in response to mass shootings, as an after the fact effort. Ideally, common sense gun laws should be in place BEFORE mass shootings become the daily reality and become "normalized". Because after people see it as "normal" it is very difficult to stop it. Adding more guns, as in "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to have a good guy with a gun", only results in more deaths. Once the bullets start flying, how do you tell the "good guys" from the bad guys? Anyone and everyone who has a gun become a priority target.

When I was in my teens, I took classes in gun safety and was a pretty descent shot, as I got 14 out of 15 into a one inch circle with a rifle at 100 yards, but I never felt the need to own a gun. Even after experiencing a home invasion robbery, I still didn't think having a gun would have helped me, but it would have caused the robbers to shoot at me, when in fact they didn't need to when I had no gun.

Property can be replaced. If you get shot and killed, there is no resurrection. You're just done living.

@snytiger6 I get your point with the good guys with guns argument, but generally speaking there is a way to differentiate between the good and bad armed people... the former don't go around intimidating or threatening others while the latter do. For example, that shooting at an Indiana mall last summer... bystanders were aware that Elisjsha Dicken was not a threat by how he was acting. As for the argument that more guns will equal more deaths goes, I could make an argument that no guns present by law abiding citizens still equals death, and potentially lots of death. Why do you suppose crazed gunmen almost always pursue places like schools or shopping malls, because they know chances are high they would not be met with any serious confrontation. Given the fact how schools are supposed to be gun free zones, that sure doesn't stop deranged gunmen from opening fire in schools, and when sure situations occur who do we call for help to neutralize the threat? You guessed it, they call for the police, who come equipped with guns themselves to deal with the threat. Sure, that may include death, but that would be the death(s) of a serious threat, so can't say I'd think such deaths would qualify as a tragedy.

Even if California has roughly ten percent population of the whole country, if their laws worked as intended then there would be considerably less to no such crimes, but that's not the case.

That be your choice as to whether or not to own a gun, and I can surely respect that, but not all of us gun owners own guns primarily for self defense, as there are other reasons for owning them. I have mine mostly for recreational target shooting, and my secondary consideration would be that I'm a collector. Although I do live in a rough city with a considerable rate of crime, for the most part I am not concerned about someone breaking into my residence.

Regarding the last part of your comment that property can always be replaced, I have to disagree, there are exceptions. For instance, the box that holds my father's ashes, if someone were to steal that and for some reason I would never have been able to track down who was responsible for that, that item could not be replaced. That's just one example and I probably could think of more. Also, just because you made a choice to not get confrontational with an armed intruder does not automatically mean that you would end up surviving the ordeal. Over the years I've heard of far too many stories of robbery victims complying with the robber's demands only to get shot dead afterwards anyways. It only stands to reason that if someone was bold enough to hold you at gunpoint, they might end up being bold enough to shoot you after they get what they wanted from you. Some armed robbers like that probably don't want to let live anyone who could readily identify them. At least when armed yourself you have a fifty/fifty chance of walking away with your life, but if you choose to go unarmed then you are totally at the mercy of the gunman's own conscience, and these days knowing how mentally unstable and violent-prone some folks can be I wouldn't be one to leave that to chance. That's cool by the way on the gun safety courses you had taken in your teens, some years back took such a course myself at a local community college, which in turn was a benefit as at that time I had worked in armed security.

That all said, I understand that owning a gun is not for everyone, and I also know that laws don't exactly always work out as intended either.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:713546
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.