Agnostic.com

1 4

LINK GOP House member introduces bill to allow congressional employees to store firearms at offices | The Hill

(I wonder how many republicans are as discontent as (former San Francisco) Supervisor Dan White?)

Rep. Greg Steube (R-Fla.) introduced a bill Friday to allow congressional employees who can legally own firearms to carry them to and from House buildings for protection and store them in the Capitol while at work.

A release from Steube’s office states that the bill would require Capitol Police to install and operate storage lockers at the pedestrian entrances to each House office building for the firearms’ “safe storage.”

“My bill is simple: any employee who is lawfully permitted to carry a firearm, stun gun, or self-defense spray will be able to bring those weapons on their commute to a House Office Building and safely store the weapon until they are ready to depart the building,” Steube said in the release.

The release notes that many House employees commute to and from their offices by walking and claims that “many” of them have been victims of violent crime happening across Washington, D.C.

It states people in D.C. can use certain weapons, including self-defense sprays, stun guns and concealed firearms, for self-defense, but D.C. and federal law prevent people from carrying them inside federal buildings.

Steube’s office said the congressman’s proposal comes after the House voted to block a D.C. law that would revise its century-old criminal code from going into effect.

The D.C. Home Rule Act allows Congress to pass a disapproval resolution to prevent a D.C. law from going into effect if majorities of both houses agree and the president signs it.

The Senate overwhelmingly approved the resolution on Wednesday by a vote of 81-14. The bill is headed to President Biden, who is expected to sign it.

Republicans and some Democrats criticized the bill for provisions that would lower penalties for some crimes like carjackings and robberies. Biden mentioned the carjackings provision as part of his reasoning in supporting the bill.

Steube slammed D.C. for its “total lawlessness” in the release.

Data from the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department shows violent crime dropped by about 7 percent from 2021 to 2022, while homicides dropped by 10 percent in that time. But the city recorded more than 200 homicides in each of the past two years.

U.S. News and World Report found that D.C.’s violent crime rate and property crime rate were lower than the national rate in 2020.

snytiger6 9 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Am I missing something. Why repubs so gun happy for last few years?

I remember then as always have been gun happy. I remember as a child my father going on a rant after I suggested that all guns should be registered... about how it would let the government know where all the guns were making it easier for them to take the guns away. At the time I thought the argument was stupid, as the government had tanks. Now the argument would be even less relevant as the government has drones.

Anyway, my father did that back in the early 1970's. Strangely at the time he only owned one gun. A single shot 22 rifle. When he died though he had half a dozen guns under his mattress. I am not aware of him ever having fired even one of them within my lifetime. As in he never practiced using them, which means I doubt he'd have been competent if he ever did have to use them.

One of my greatest criticisms of people who own guns is that they never actually practice with them to become proficient in their use, and they don't keep them locked up safely, as in a way inaccessible to children.

In my late teens my father got his first hand gun (2nd gun). I knew where he kept it, and I also knew it was loaded. Being a teen I did take it out and looked at it couple of times. I know my middle brother who was a drug addict at the time also knew where it was and probably took it out a lot more frequently.

As a young teen I went through fun safety classes, not because my father had anything to do with it, but because my scout troop wanted to go hunting. I never found hunting to be all that interesting, and I have never desired to own a gun myself.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:713829
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.