Agnostic.com

1 3

My love of history and movies intersect today in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. Two films I enjoy are 1970’s “The Molly Maguires,” with Sean Connery and Richard Harris at the head of a great cast in the true story, taken from U.S. labor history, about Irish miners in 1870s Pennsylvania (with cinematography by the great James Wong Howe); and 1999’s “One Man’s Hero” with Tom Berenger in another true story about the San Patricios, Irish-born U.S. artillerymen taking part in the 1846 invasion of Mexico. Two great stories that showcase Irish American history on the theme of pushing back on oppression. Too often forgotten.

The-Krzyz 8 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

St Patrick's Day in US is a drunken puke fest.

Speaking from experience?

@The-Krzyz I'm speaking from experience that St Patrick's Day is a Catholic religious holiday that allowed them to get drunk during Lent. I was a bartender for 40 years and I was also a heavy drinker back in the day. I've seen some drunken St Paddy's and NYE but nothing compares to New Years Day Mummer's Parade, in Philadelphia, for drunken white privilege and projectile vomit day.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:714606
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.