Agnostic.com

1 6

In the world of words versus deed guess who will win.

Disney World Event Gives Florida Gov. DeSantis the Middle Finger Walt Disney's CEO Bob Iger has shown no willingness to back down in the face of the governor's efforts to campaign against diversity training. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has made Disney World, one of his state's largest employers, the target of his so-called war on woke.
Disney Boldly Challenges DeSantis

Disney World will host the annual Out & Equal Workplace Summit in September.
"The largest LGBTQ+ conference in the world, with more than 5,000 attendees every year. It brings together executives, ERG leaders and members, and HR and DEI professionals and experts -- all working for LGBTQ+ equality," the event's organizer, Out & Equal, said on its website.

"Over more than 20 years, Summit has grown to become the preferred place to network and share strategies that create inclusive workplaces, where everyone belongs and where LGBTQ+ employees can be out and thrive."

The Tampa Bay Times called simply hosting the event "a defiant display of the limits of DeSantis’s campaign against diversity training."
Disney World has hosted the event previously and the company has a relationship with Out & Equal going back many years.

Instead of giving a speech and becoming even more of a right-wing-media talking point, Iger showed his employees where Disney stands through his actions. It's a smart choice by a seasoned executive not to become an actor in DeSantis's political theater.
The Florida governor wants to be perceived as battling 'woke" Disney without actually hurting his state's relationship with the company. The newspaper described exactly how that works when it looked at the new government powers the state has taken from the theme park giant.

The subsequent legislation left most of Disney’s special powers in place despite the governor’s attempt to dissolve the district. The conservative members the governor appointed to the board hinted at the first meeting of the new board that they would exercise leverage over Disney, such as prohibiting COVID-19 restrictions at Disney World. But legal experts have said that the new board’s authority has no control over Disney content.

DeSantis wants a culture war, or at least one that'll play out in the media. Iger knows better and has played the situation perfectly.
[thestreet.com]

jackjr 7 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It sure be fun to have all the Disney Characters show up at the next desatan press conference - maybe display the raised finger.🤣

I don't know if I told you of my 'adventure' with two Disney characters while in the military. It was in basic training and we were trained at Fort Ord, Calif (Monterey). Ft. Ord was under a meningitis restriction and no one could leave the base and receiving visitors was restricted. Two big guys in my platoon were Disney characters and would roam the crowds acting silly. They would use pot to get them in the mood and even enhance their performance. Sorry, no pot on base. I had a pair of rose colored, coke bottle thickness sunglasses. One day one of the guys wanted to try my glasses and discovered the site was almost like being high. He and his buddy would often borrow my glasses and sit in a corner and pretend they had used their pot. They became my basic buddies and I their dealer.

@jackjr It's amazing how creative some people in the military can be to 'get' around the on base rules.

@silverotter11 The rule wasn't about pot - which I think was illegal back then. It was more about contracting a communicable disease. If you want to hear some stories about 'getting around' (or rather redefining them to suit ones own desire) I have lots of stories. My life in the military was a total joke.

@jackjr That would be fun a fun phone call. Your number disappeared in the messages, I hope youstill have mine.

@silverotter11 I checked and I do. My sister has been trying to get me to moving off island and getting an over-55 condo. She said there would be lots of 'regimented' activities. I told her that would probably mean being around a bunch of religious, conservative, overweight, diabetic old farts who sat around playing cards and telling stories. Than I realized I would also be one telling lots of stories.

@jackjr I lived on my 10 acres outside of Cle Elum for 20 years and I found the transition to apartment life not bad. I miss the night sky and solitude BUT taking care of a large property/responsibility was not missed.
What I want to do is move back to the west side but without a room mate I can't afford anything on my own. Even a large studio is way expensive.
Hawaii, New Zealand or maybe even Australia would be great! hahahha

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:715891
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.