Agnostic.com

3 3

PBS has a crash course in philosophy. Course #6 focuses on existentialism and the meaning of life. Our group will be interested in this class.

jackjr 7 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That was fun! Guess I'm leaning to existentialism.

I just discovered this series and thought maybe you'd also be interested. There are lots of segments. Here's the trailer:

Philosophy can be fun and breaking things down to the basics can be really enlightening. I remember, years ago, where there were lots of UFO sightings and people were even claiming the aliens were having sex with them. Someone said of course aliens travel over thousands of light years just to have sex with humans because once you've had sex with a human you will never go back to your own kind!

@jackjr The most interesting about Philosophy is how much it gets discussed - of course. Sadly for many I don't think they actually have the little grey cells (a Poirot reference) necessary to process it all.

@silverotter11 Agreed. it's waaay above their intelligence level. Unfortunately the rest of us suffer.

Very nice overview, thanks! I've worked my life out of what was expected of me by others to now having the freedom to do meaningful things if I choose, and menial tasks or nothing at all when I choose. Nobody judging me but myself, and as long as I leave this world a little brighter than when I came into it, or at least the same and not worse for my living, I'm happy.

I'm of the mind that we are free to discover what we love to do, where our passions lie, and if the world is lacking in some regard where we can fill that void, that is one way to live out our potential. It may be in big or small ways, depending on our capabilities and ambition toward those goals.

Not all of us are equipped to be leaders or followers, but it takes all kinds to participate in the experience of life and choose what we do with it. At least that is the case for those of us who are free to live life as we wish. Some aren't as lucky to have these choices, so I shouldn't waste mine, though I don't really know how to help those who aren't free to choose.

Very well said. For me it's not so much as being able to leave the world a little better off but to do what I can to not add to the problems of the world and, maybe, help others do the same.

My core beliefs are existentialist and I am proud of it.

I as well and probably most of the members here.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:717166
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.