Agnostic.com

6 0

The biased reasoning is always the same: my conception of the Good influences my definition of the True. But what if the Truth is not the Good? We would have to suppress the field of research.
It is an old idea to believe that the Good is also necessarily the Truth. It was the basis of coercive systems, which made morality and social law the necessary conditions of knowledge. It is against this that science was built centuries ago. It is against its contemporary equivalents that it must resist again, especially in the sphere of so-called "Social Justice".

Thibaud70 7 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe truth and honesty to be right, but whether it's good truth or bad truth is up to the receiver of that truth and what they were expecting or hoping to hear, I suppose.

Truth and goodness CAN be the same thing, but aren't interchangeable all the time.

I can do something good, and it has nothing to do with truth, unless we're talking about being true to what we think or know to be good. I can say something true but it might hurt someone and I should have just kept my mouth shut as it makes a situation worse unnecessarily.

Truth and good are both positive ideas - like apples and oranges are both fruits. Those are my thoughts on it anyway.

Paradox. I believe truth is good, therefore I do not hold belief to be good, therefore I can not believe truth is good.

There is no paradox. You are just playing with words.

@Thibaud70 No it was a real question about the nature of, and need for, axioms. Am I to take it therefore that you have no need for axioms ?

@Fernapple No idea what you'r talking about. My OP wasn't an exercise in formal logic.

I am not aware of any linkage between Good and True.

There is no ultimate knowable truth and good/bad are value judgments. If one accepts that whatever happens in any given moment is precisely what had to happen then good/bad judgment vanishes.

Truth is a subset of true, true is a subset of good.

Truth means a state of being true.

True means accurately conforming to (a standard or expectation); correct.

Good pertains to quality. having the qualities required for a particular role.

Word Level 8 Apr 1, 2023

Could you be more specific, as with one or more examples?

My OP was an exercise in abstract thought, not about some specific example.

So that was abstract thought without logic and without examples. Useless.

@racocn8 I suggest you skip the section "philosophy" of this site next time if you are unable of abstract thinking.

Its obvious I'm far more able than yourself. I suggest you find something you can do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:717192
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.