Agnostic.com

21 2

I'm starting to smell like an old person, what should I do?

Took a shower last night before bed as I've been doing for years and this morning on my PC I noticed a slight odor reminiscent of my Grandma's smell. What can I do outside of showering every 8 hours?

PickledRick 8 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Have sex, of any kind...it reactivates the body!

Hang a young person around your neck.

Stop using soap! As crazy as that sounds, I swear it works. Your body is covered with beneficial bacteria. Soap kills them. Consider them little odor eaters. Besides my hands, there is only one small part of my body that requires soap every day.

markd Level 4 May 2, 2018

I don't want to know what that would be!...lol

@buzz13 -- What @markd just said really is good advice. It is advice that younger people ought to take. As for that other little part, that too is good advice. May the smell be with you.

@evidentialist Thanks

@buzz13 you always can soak in the washing machine... After 20 mins. Press the start button. {smile{1f642. Svg}}

whatever steps you take, just remember that Elizabeth Bathory was not correct in her assumptions.

Bathing in blood is wasteful, I rather drink it, especially if it's from virgins......OK now shame me for that remark,

What's the smell, specifically?

Like my grandma did, I don't know, old I guess

@beansontoast Wish it were homemade cookies

Rotting flesh.

Old cootchie. Loved my grandma, but that smell! Would be horrified to start smelling like that.

Chemical changes come with hormonal changes- they are most obvious in smell and hair... Talk to your doctor, or have some excellent sex. It may come from a combination of both. Find yourself an excellent doctor AND an excellent lover. It makes all the difference!

My doctor is a great guy, finding an excellent lover I'm having a wee bit of trouble with...lol

@buzz13 D IY, sweetie!

Don't let it bother you. Soon you'll be losing your sense of smell.

There's that yes...lol

lolLLLLLL

Keeping up on dental hygiene is also HUGE. Floss floss floss as no matter how much you brush something can be uh, fermenting in there.

At some point in our lives we begin to change. I don't know what the solution is.
Eventually we will all begin to smell like old books (and sometimes pee!) if we don't douse ourselves in cologne (which i don't think is a good solution btw)
Until science comes up with a cure for or a real delay in aging we can't smell like blooming 20 year olds forever.
Being in peri meno myself can't help wonder if not throwing off "last call" pheromones... not looking forward to the other side of that.

Considering the alternative is being dead eau de vintage book is going to have to do. Just freshen up if you're having company or going some place.

Here goes TMI....if find after I "enjoy" myself, even though showered,if within 24 hours I am around males of Any age, I get a lot of interest....and I will be 70 in July, and not supermodel-shaped by any standards. So, pheromes or something activated? It is Definitely a thing!

Same @AnneWimsey I can't think of any other reason why. Yeah I'm funny & nice but ain't stop traffic hawt anymore as far as I'm concerned. Then again we're not guys so who knows.

As a bibliophile, I LIKE the smell of old books.

Baby powder? Heheheh

Oh go build a canyon..

Wash with tannins. They will break down the omega-7 unsaturated fatty acids on the skin that are degraded through oxidation. It is these oxidised chemicals that cause that particular odour. Normal soaps won't help the substances are not water soluble. Our skins get thinner as we age and the fats oxidise more quickly, hence the smell in us oldies. I can notice it if I am away from the surf for more than a week,

I appreciate the advice, thanks

@Dieselbgood they are a chemical/molecule from vegetation, mostly tree barks. You can get some soaps with it, the popular one these days is a persimmon soap.

All these folks trying to be kind or looking for some deep explanation or a folk remedy are all way off track. My best advice to youngsters who begin asking that question is, get used to it because it's not going to get better. You might also consider looking for dating material whose olfactory senses have been dulled. If you fret over it, you'll never have any personal rest the remainder of your miserable life.

Good advice, I think..lol

Beats the alternative.

Just smother yourself in young people. Or even better, if you all have the time, marinate yourself in them.

Hopefully I won't get arrested again...lol

@buzz13 I'm going to be 60 in two months time. Thanks to your post I think my paranoia and my paranoid nasal senses may now keep me awake for the foreseeable future! ?

Bathe. 🙂

I never thought about that....LOL

@buzz13 And don't flatulate that often. 🙂

@duchessa lol

@buzz13 OTOH...change your diet and flatulate as myuch as you want.

A Thought....maybe you should get checked for diabetes / endocrine problems! Diabetes definitely changes your chemistry!

I'm pre-diabetic so I monitor that, blood panel every 6 months, all is good.

stop showering. embrace it.

My dog complains about the smell, what can I do?

@buzz13 Erm... I dunno. But dollars to doughnuts says it involves bacon.,

@buzz13 BATHE THE DOG AS WELL............LOL

Move to a commune where no one will notice!

That's the best advice I've heard yet,

Change your deodorant and bodywash

Axe Body spray. Lol

No, please no. Just went through four years of teenage boys (grandsons)who used Axxe to excess. My nose is still smarting from that aroma.
Start washing your clohtes more often and use good soap for your skin.

A Thought....maybe you should get checked for diabetes / endocrine problems! Diabetes definitely changes your chemistry!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:71774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.