Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK Can we be Happy without Friends? | The Social Minimalist - YouTube

I really enjoy this Channel and Kennith’s voice.

rainmanjr 8 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are many acquaintances in my life that I rarely see, however, I have five good friends that I have known for years and I remain in fairly regular contact with them, chatting at least once every two weeks, sometimes phone calls can last for more than two hours. Whenever I see any of them it is like their home is my home. While I enjoy spending most of my time alone I think that we are social animals and with good friends we can strike a balance.

being ''social' can be exhausting, just exhausting. i enjoy my dog.

Yes but that means you have a friend, nobody ever said that a friend has to be the same species.

It doesn’t bother me. Alone is far less complicated.

I'm not sure where the line is drawn between acquaintances and friends, but I'm a bit of an introvert, so having several acquaintances and zero friends fits me just fine. I have had a few supposed "friends" over the years, but they came and went and seemed to only want something from me, mainly a place to crash if they landed on hard times or got too drunk to drive home after enjoying the party venues close to my place. I think that's why I purposely keep boxes stacked up on my couch, so I can honestly say I have no room for them.

I get by just fine with acquaintances. I have neighbors I chat with, and people along my evening walk I chat with, and there are usually folks I know if I go out to listen to music on the weekends. I go by myself, but generally find someone with room at their table for me. That's what is nice about living in a small community. I couldn't/wouldn't go out alone in a larger city where there's little chance I'd know anyone.

There used to be a bit of a stigma to going to concerts, etc., alone, but I'm learning I'm just fine attending events alone. I can sit where I want, leave when I want, and talk with whoever I wish, without causing drama. It's freeing - and only uncomfortable or awkward if I let it be that way. I've become pretty comfortable going out alone and doing other activities alone too.

There have been girlfriends with whom I'd go walking or to the beach, but there's a lot of waiting around, or stopping for coffee or food when I didn't want to, and the conversation wasn't all that riveting. I used to enjoy "meetups" with folks for hikes or beach parties, but I'm just fine enjoying those things in solitude nowadays.

No stigma in doing solo activities as I was led to believe most my life. Maybe it's because I'm not looking to complicate my life any more.

That would get my guess. Everyone I knew either died or decided I wasn't doing enough for their POV and/or comfort so being alone was also imposed upon me. As it turns out, I adore it. Now that I'm also on SS I get to be whatever guy I want to be in any particular moment and I don't do Bullshit well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:718261
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.