Agnostic.com

8 3

LINK Can Artificial Art Be Attractive? Waldemar Januszczak Travels In Virtual Japan | Perspective - YouTube

Waldemar Januszczak visits Japan and investigates the Japanese attitude to technology. With robot monks, talking toilets, and Super Mario.

He is hands down one of my favorite Art Journalists. The observation about man making god in our image, to do what we couldn't, being replicated in our replicas was astute. I will spare you all my thoughts about the female fashion as I'll bet you can see my eyes rolling.

rainmanjr 8 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

word puzzles can help kids with writing and grammar, improve their working memories, and give them good ways to study for tests.

What is art? I think that's a very difficult topic to describe. It is definitely akin to the 4 blind monks and only feeling one part of the elephant giving them a limited experience.
Art is highly subjective. What one person likes another can be blase about. I personally don't like Jackson Pollock-he threw paint at a canvas with airplane engines blowing on them. So if that's art I'm not impressed. There are some abstract painters whose art I can force myself to admit I like but that mostly has to do with mood/color and brush strokes. People spill art on canvas, roll the canvass around and call it art. If an artist isn't trying to convey a message about color, shapes or mood then to me it's meaningless. My son with no art education (art below) at all paints like Jean-Michel Basquiat which is like saying Basquiat paints as tho he's never been educated about art at all even tho he hung out with Warhol who painted Campbells soup cans. (like why?).
What is art as defined by you?
I love this kind of art. [boredpanda.com]
[opticalillusionsportal.com]

Interesting POV (which I don't disagree with). It seems to me that any person's personal experience of art will always be a lesser experience than the public allowance for it is. That is, we will have to disagree on what art is in order for it to thrive. My own definition of art is that which makes a statement, of some kind, or informs us of an abstract POV. Something which can best be communicated through color, light, filter, or all three.

Art is inherently artificial. That's the precise reason why the word artificial actually begins with...A -R -T!

Art in general was been the most influential tool in human history. There is artificial and abstract artist. To me art an inherent part of human nature? Whatever art is, it is inherent to human existence. Dostoevsky wrote: 'Art is as much a need for humanity as eating and drinking. The need for beauty and for creations that embody it is inseparable from humanity and without it man perhaps might not want to live on earth.

You win this topic's Best Comment. Thank you.

@Castlepaloma In a general way I agree with Dostoevsky (as one must about such matters). In a deterministic way I'm less certain of my agreement. Not wanting to live on the most beautiful planet I could imagine because there's no other form of art? This idea seems a bit dramatic.

Yes. I've made some stunning works with an AI.

Of course artificial art can be attractive.

Pure randomness can be attractive. You could drop 100 frozen peas on the floor and they could form a pattern pleasing to the eye.

For artificial art to be universally unattractive there would have to be some active (and artistically exceptional) function ensuring it was so.

My Robot is very fond of artificial art.

Tribal.

Would have to program the robot to be fond of artificial art.
Much like over compliance people.

I design mostly natural and sometimes artificial 3d world's in theme park, museums, film, stage and 100s of different venues. What is really strange for me here, is robot pets rather than real pets for the elderly. It would be challenging either way, cleaning up the shit or technology stuff. I perfer natural for 90% of the time. I work in concrete, wood, sand, snow and clay sculptures and tiny houses.

I'm not a fan of art in the first place. In the modern world art collecting is a way for the rich to launder money. This could be true in any form of art if the price is right.

Interesting perspective.

Yes, the "art world" is just a symptom of how much excess money the people at the top have.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:718988
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.