Agnostic.com

8 10

What is God like. This is waaaay above the average intelligence level of the average religious person but it asks lots of interesting questions with lots of fun and, lots of omni’s. If you have a religious acquaintance ask them a few of these questions.

jackjr 7 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hi! He's like a adult version of a imaginary friend from childhood to adulthood.

The best argument in favor of Atheism.

Hmm. I wonder if one should need to argue for reality.

Why, everybody knows GOD is balding, with an orange combover, a spray tan, tiny hands, and a HUGE junk food belly, surpassed in girth only by his EGO!

No,, that's not God, but his earthly avatar

In catechism, we were not asked to read the bible, but just to believe the stories the nuns were telling us. We were taught that God is omniscient and omnipotent. If that were true, then he surely wasn't on my side, nor fair in any way, so what's the point, I thought.

If God knew what was happening in my family, and let it continue, even though it didn't seem fair, right and good to me, then it was up to me and/or others to stand up for us. But, we were also taught to respect authority, a parent, especially the father, is always right and there is wrath to deal with in questioning the actions of authority.

This all makes for a very confused and tormented young person. Only way out is to stop believing, yet the remnants of the dogma persist in the mind. No wonder so many turn to drugs, alcohol, violence or the control of ourselves or others, for some relief from the unfairness.

I'm happy for the younger generations might not have been brought up with religion, and didn't get these mind controlling dogmas infecting their lives, so have a clean slate upon which to create their lives.

Were you brought up Catholic? The bible was of little significance in my family and dad read the comics to us much more often than the bible. Religion in my family was benign (mom had no real beliefs) so it was no big deal. I was an altar boy and we even liked to put on skits for our parents and our two favorite were acting the Mass and Soupy Sales (with pie tins full of whipped cream). The only time we got in trouble was if we fooled around during the mass. Often we would go slow hoping dad would say it's too late for mass but nooo, we would still go and the whole family (7 of us) would walk down the center aisle. Dad's punishment was embarrassment. In the end out of 7 kids 6 became atheists (one brother's wife was religious but they agreed to not discuss religion). One sister, who had some emotional problems (and still does) converted to JW.
I think most families are like yours. For me, it took a pivotal incident which didn't happen until my late 40's.

@jackjr Yep, brought up catholic. Lived just down the hill from the church. I was excused from having to finish my catechism by the middle of 2nd grade. I asked too many questions of the nuns, and was dubbed a "doubting Thomas" in a note home to my parents. I was the only sibling of the 5 of us who was never confirmed. Only sibling not to have been married in the church.

@Julie808 Sounds like my late partner. She was brought up in Iran and the schools were strictly segregated (male/female). Still, I heard lots of stories how she was bringing home notes from her teachers about how disrespectful she was. Once a teacher even showed up at the family door. Her mother supported her in every way.
In my schooling we never had any problems with the nuns. My biggest problem was a skinny teacher who was not a nun. I asked her why she was so mean to me and she said she saw something in me and wanted to toughen me up. I recently found a picture of my 1st grade class (I'm 2nd from the back in the row directly in front of the nun). Hope it won't bring back any bad memories for you.

Dog(s) are their real god(s), just as christofascist are so sure this country is their christofascist’s paradise!!!

If you believe in gods they seem to be like whatever you want them to be. I stopped believing some time ago and I'm never wondering "what if."

Of course none of these conundrums exist if one simply removes the philosophical reason for them.
No god, no problem!
Indeed, I say that even considering this post is automatically subscribing to a belief in god.

Ii feel the same for government. Except worse wail they drag me back like part of a mafia family, always demanding half my money.

If you're gonna go the philosophical route, throwing God out might not be so easy. Just going by the most basic dictionary definition, God is the supreme being. Supreme means the greatest, largest, most powerful, etc. Being is something that exists. The largest thing that exists surely does, by definition, exist. We have alternate names for it: universe, reality, nature, etc. The largest thing that exists is a philosophical necessity. If we pretend it doesn't exist, we're pretending WE don't exist. It just doesn't have a clear path to a rational claim.

The clearest philosophical path is to acknowledge the well-established fact that H.sapiens is a metaphor-creating species. We personify EVERYTHING! Why would we not personify the universe? Of course we would - we put googly eyes on toilet paper!

It's a lot easier philosophically to remove God's literalism than his existence. Which, oddly enough, leaves the original question of the video still quite relevant. What's God's nature?

Well, we're working on that. We know a tiny bit. But most of the big questions are still unanswered.

Whether we anthropomorphize or not, most of us agree that existence exists. But not one of us knows why there is something rather than nothing. Not one of us knows the nature of nature. The conundrum remains.

That God exists is self evident. The only meaningful question is What is God's nature? Opinions vary. No one really knows.

One should always have room for knowledge. Knowledge as this is not a waste of time for me but only strengthens my non-belief.

@skado In quanta, everything is small and capable of being everywhere yet nowhere. Now THAT is really mysterious. So I'll see your god and raise you a guantum. 🤣😂

@Petter
Yep - plenty of mystery to go around!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:719425
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.