Agnostic.com

1 4

LINK Vermont becomes latest state to outlaw child marriage, raising eligibility age to 18 | The Hill

People in Vermont that want to get married have to be at least 18 starting in July, according to a new law signed on Thursday.

Republican Gov. Phil Scott’s signature officially made the Freedom and Unity State the eighth in the country to end child marriage.

Under current law, Vermonters aged 16 and 17 can get married, but only with the consent of one parent. The new law takes effect July 1.

The other seven states that have outlawed the practice for people under 18, all since 2018, are Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, New York, and Minnesota, according to nonprofit group Unchained At Last.

West Virginia outlawed child marriages for people younger than 16 in March, but it is considered a weaker bill by Unchained At Last because the other states have set the legal age for marriage at 18.

Supporters argue ending child marriage has the potential to better the education and lives of teenagers and reduce rates of domestic violence and unwanted pregnancies.

(I grew up in California, where to my understanding if you were 16, you could get married with parental consent. However, in every case i ever heard of, such marriages involved pregnancies and it was more like parental coercion than consent. I never heard of even one of those marriages that didn't end in divorce.)

snytiger6 9 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's good for Vermont and other states are doing. It's give the younger generation the chance to mature and settle bs the parents are making them do.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:720793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.