Agnostic.com

3 2

When does hyperbole become a lie?

Or is just a matter of degrees of the truth?

atheist 8 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When Santa Claus becomes real.

It's an exaggeration by definition. That means that at least part of it is already a lie.

@atheist That's similar to taking a photo, editing it and presenting it as an original. It's true it might 'look' better than the original, but it's not the original.

Another, which perhaps you're referring to is in a singers voice, somewhere there's an audience, entertainment of sorts, theater, where exaggeration is needed to convey normalcy.

Embellishments are additions which take 'it' further from the truth.

@atheist Facsimiles are similar, but not the real McCoy?

I think real estate agents, the good ones, are masters of quiet hyperbole because when you are whining about the smallness of the bathroom, (subjectively true) they redirect you to the size of the closets.
Hyperbole is taking a fact, such as " the sky is blue" and going nuts about it....making it impossible for me to disagree without being downright rude...."it's the brightest, best blue there has ever been" (crap, I sound like drumpy). So then the liar works up to..."enjoy it now (pay me) because it will Never be blue again, tomorrow it will be green". Manifestly untrue. So hyperbole is re-direction plus puffery, but not outright fabrication, and has an element of truth, but Outright lies can be disproven, usually quite easily. Good liars Always put a bit of truth in their lies to more easily sell them...or at least raise enough doubt so they have time to make a getaway.
Interesting food for thought, and very relevant too.....

@atheist it is not a simple question, in fact when i started thinking about it i realized i could write an entire chapter on just shades of the truth. Hey, ask simpler questions!

@atheist ROFL

Degrees?
If it comes out of the South end of a Northbound horse, it's horseshit.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:72135
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.