Agnostic.com

4 15

I'm teaching my daughter Claire, 33, to make bread.

We are making four loaves of whole wheat oatmeal bread. Heartwarming. Lots of fun!

When Claire was a baby, I put a big towel on the kitchen floor. Kneeling, I kneaded bread on an oiled bread board. Baby Claire could poke and taste. She wanted to see what I was doing. I figured it would be sterile baked for an hour at 350 F.

When Claire was three, I taught her simple shapes for rolls. Greased a muffin pan. Cut one loaf of dough into 12 even pieces. Rounded each piece. Showed her how to roll it out like a snake. Made a loose knot. Raised and baked for 15 minutes. Brushed with melted butter, the rolls tasted great no matter how goofy looking.

"I made the rolls, Daddy!" little Claire said proudly. As she got older, she enjoyed shaping the loaves.

LiterateHiker 9 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those are amazing loaves. Using 100% whole wheat bread is very difficult. I applaud your experience.
Our daughter learned from me and she’s also a talented baker.

She looks like you.

@KateOahu

Thank you! Claire is half-Spanish.

When she is with her dad, she looks like him. With me, we look alike.

This is good to know and something I should be doing. Bread today in a store is terrible but I refuse to take time to learn how to bake my own.

@DenoPenno

"The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book- A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking" taught me to make bread.

Love it!

I envy you.

I haven't made bread since my wife stopped eating it. The relatively small amount I eat makes it more worth the effort to buy rather than to make.🙂
Let alone have a daughter to help and to show off.

@RichCC

I always make four loaves. Once cooled, I cut the loaves in half and freeze. Take out a half-loaf at a time.

Cooked oatmeal makes the bread moist and it freezes beautifully. Delicious lightly toasted.

I miss bread…REAL bread.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:723564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.