Agnostic.com

2 9

Making a dress for Claire, 33

"Mom, I love your dress!" my daughter Claire said today. To my delight, she moved to back to Wenatchee six weeks ago ago. "Thanks, I made it four years ago," I replied.

Will you make that dress for me?" she asked. Today I ordered a larger size uncut McCall's pattern from Ebay for her dress. The pattern is discontinued and still popular. This gives me options to tailor the dress to fit her perfectly and skim her body.

Claire is long-waisted like her dad and me. Once the pattern arrives, I will measure her, including from armpit to waist. And will drop the armpit like I do with all my clothes. Nobody likes clothes that pinch your armpit.

With olive skin like her Spanish father, Claire is bigger boned and more curvy than me. So she wants green-toned material. My dress is 90% polyester and 10% Lycra. Claire and I will go together to pick out the fabric. Heartwarming.

I sewed Claire's clothes from age three to 11. I let her pick out the material for her clothes and Halloween costumes. At first Claire wanted fabric with huge flowers. One flower would cover her little chest! So I steered her toward little flowers.

We have a long, rich history of me repairing Claire's clothes. It's a fun problem-solving project. And I get the satisfaction of restoring her favorite clothes.

LiterateHiker 9 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You look like sisters, but I see the Spanish genes in Claire..she’s very beautiful!

It must be so special to be able to make a dress for her now, especially after sewing her clothes for so many years. The fact that she moved back to Wenatchee must make the process even more meaningful. It's great that you're able to tailor the dress to fit her perfectly, considering her long-waisted and curvy figure. Going together to pick out the fabric sounds like a fun outing, and I'm sure the dress will turn out beautifully. If you're still looking for ideas, I'm more into online shopping for clothes and found Evelin Fashion for women's suits. They might have some materials or styles that could inspire your dressmaking project.

I made lots of clothing for my daughters as they were growing up, and they also wore the hand me downs from their older sister(s). I often dressed them alike, especially holidays. I also made Halloween costumes from time to time. The picture is likely from Christmas 1995. Their dad often teased/accused me of dressing them like Barbie dolls.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:726099
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.