Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Groundwater removal tilted Earth 31.5 inches -- Axios

The spin of the planet tilted 31.5 inches to the east between 1993 and 2010 due to humans pumping groundwater, according to a new study.

The big picture: Earth’s rotational axis drifts naturally but its direction shifted east in the 1990s. Previous research attributed that drift to large amounts of water being moved by glacial melt, groundwater removal and other activities that contribute to rises in sea level.

When a large mass of water is moved, the planet's center of gravity also moves.

What's new: Researchers at Seoul National University determined "the redistribution of groundwater actually has the largest impact on the drift of the rotational pole," geophysicist Ki-Weon Seo said in a press release.

The researchers modeled how the drift in Earth's rotational axis changed and how water moved from the melting of ice sheets and glaciers as well as the redistribution of groundwater.
They found the distribution of groundwater had to be included in the model for it to match observations of the shift.
"Earth's pole has drifted toward 64.16°E at a speed of 4.36 cm/yr during 1993–2010 due to groundwater depletion and resulting sea level rise," the authors report.

The impact: Changes in the rotational pole due to groundwater pumping aren't expected to shift the planet's seasons, Surendra Adhikari, a research scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory who was not involved in the study, said in the release.

It normally drifts several meters in a year and the groundwater contribution is on the order of centimeters.
Over time, though, the drift could affect the planet's climate, Adhikari says.
snytiger6 9 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whoooo-boy ... I'd love to see the assumptions they made to get to this decision.

The water didn't disappear, and considering the earth is nearly 6400 km in diameter, there would have to be a sh!t ton of water (that's a scientific measure, of course) moved to change the precession.

It has been pretty well known that ground water aquifers have been mostly drained over the last century. Granted the earth is a closed system and the water doesn't disappear, but this does mean that the earth's water is distributed differently. I too would like to see the actual science behind the claim, but I do think the claim is a possibility of redistribution of weight in a spinning object. The change isn't really all that dramatic.

I would however think it would likely also be the melting of glaciers as well as aquifers being emptied that would help redistributed how mass and weight is distributed around the globe.

@snytiger6
I'd love to see what they are assuming the mass of the displaced water is.
An approximate mass of the earth is 5.97 x 10^24.

Ten to the 24th power is a big, big number.

Since the axial precession is approximately one rotation every 26 million years, I would think that the minute amount of water moved (in relation to the earth's mass) would not have a measurable effect in such a short time.

I think there is something else at play here, and is not being considered.

Maybe this is why everything feels so off kilter lately.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:726858
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.