Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK GOP presidential candidate offers $20 gift cards for $1 donations

Republican presidential candidate Doug Burgum is promising $20 gift cards to 50,000 people who donate $1 to his campaign, he announced Monday.

Why it matters: It's an unprecedented move by a presidential candidate and underscores the extreme efforts long-shot candidates are taking to qualify for the August debate stage.

Candidates must receive 40,000 donors, including at least 200 unique donors in each of 20 states, to qualify for the August debate. 

Driving the news: "The burden on American families caused by the Democrats is unruly, and Joe Biden is doing nothing to fix it," Burgum wrote on a WinRed page soliciting donations.

"We want to help, so we’re offering YOU a $20 gift card, and all YOU have to do is contribute $1 to claim it," he wrote. 

Jordan Libowitz, the communications director at Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, called it the "single thirstiest thing" he's seen in politics.

"In a way it makes sense that it's this desperate maneuver to get onto a debate stage to raise a profile, but it's weird," he added.
"The whole point they have this threshold is because they only want actual, serious candidates on the stage," Libowitz said.
A spokesperson for the RNC did not immediately respond to Axios' request for comment.

Zoom out: Entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy also announced a new fundraising scheme on Monday to give supporters a 10% cut of the total money they raise for his campaign.

Ramaswamy has qualified for the August debate stage, his campaign previously told Axios.
snytiger6 9 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Josh Hawley used real postage stamps to send me ads wanting my vote. He is "goody two shoes Christian" and everything liberal is the devil. He wants that Senate seat pretty bad but Josh Hawley is a white supremacist that we do not need. You can also bet he did not pay for the postage stamps.

Where is this guy going to get the money to pay back his donors? Maybe the Saudis will ante up.

I'd be really surprised if anyone received a cent from this jamoke. Isn't this like... bribery?

@TheoryNumber3 It could be viewed as bribery. But voting in a primary election may not be regulated as it is in a federal election.

Here in New York, it isn't legal to sell marijuana yet, but you can give it away. Some head shops have a practice where you "Make a donation" and they express their gratitude by gifting you some pot. And they seem to be getting away with it just fine. It seems very similar to this voting scheme.

@BitFlipper I did not know that. This country needs a new, more consistent
set of rules

@TheoryNumber3 they will find a way to circumvent those too.

@BitFlipper Much as I hate to admit it, I'm sure you're right.

I wonder where he stole them from. 😀

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:727197
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.