Agnostic.com

5 6

I was just doing some research on the vitamins and supplements I take daily, and I found this chart from the NIH which shows all the daily requirements for various nutrients. I thought maybe you'd find it useful as well. I found out for example that I was taking 5 times the amount of zinc I need daily. Oops!

[ods.od.nih.gov]

TheoryNumber3 8 Aug 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You just discovered the National institute of health nutrition chart? No wonder you take supplements.

Apparently, judging from the responses, I'm not the only one who hadn't seen that chart before. Maybe you can find something in there to treat your snarkiness.

May I suggest you make your own supplements? Making tablets is easy :-honey and whatever dried herb or mineral you want. Capsules are a bit more complicated, but all the necessary equipment can be obtained from Amazon rather cheaply. You can gather your own herbs and dry, vitarmise them yourself, or buy them ready to use.
This works out a lot cheaper and you know exactly what goes in them. What is more you can make supplements to target specific issues you may have at present and discontinue those supplements
you no longer need.

It is a fact that the pharmaceutical companies, that pound out the very chemicals that are making us sick, are also the companies that make the supplements. Makes no difference if the name is Bayer , monsanto Blackmores etc etc. They are still produced in a chemical factory with unspecified chemicals used in the production.
One example of this is flour. When was the last time you found weevils in the flour? Chemicals are added in the mill, but not declared on the packaging.
Chemicals in foods are accumulative, some lasting forever, carcinogenic in high doses, and react with the bodies own hormones and processes. Yet everything we eat has these chemicals in them.

My wife is a diabetic with bad arthritis, I make a capsule using 2 herbs that work wonders lowering her B S L and also helps considerably in getting movement back from her arthritic hands and fingers and a relief of pain too.

I'm sorry for your wife's condition, and she's fortunate you're such a help to her.

There are some supplements that happen to have zinc and copper. I take some of these, but mostly stick to a B-complex with C, calcium with D3, and milk thistle. Both an AREDS2 and prostate (TMI) supplement have zinc and copper. That’s concerning.

Ok with my post cataract surgery readers on looking at the labels the AREDS2 supplement if I took the two pill per day has 727% of DV for zinc. Yipes! The prostate is (TMI) 136% zinc with recommended two pill dosage. Whew! AREDS2 has 222% copper. Prostate has 222%. Prostate one has chromium and molybdenum: [en.m.wikipedia.org]
That’s kinda odd. Am I making a bicycle wheel inside me?

Plus more vitamin D (200%)in prostate stuff and selenium. AREDS2 has 1200% vitamin E. Yipes! I haven’t been taking AREDS2 much at all. The prostate one except for the extra vitamin D over what I already take seems ok.

Put this site on my home screen..TFP!
i recently figured out i was taking about 5 times the recommended amounts of Vitamin D (in the Super C pill, , in the multivitamin plus i was taking a D pill, my former doctor recommended it.
Fat soluble vitamins like D can be a real problem as they accumulate excess in your fat cells with possible toxic effects!

I'm glad you find it helpful... but I don't have a clue what TFP means LOL

Wow, so much information in one place! Thank you. I've found that absorption has to be considered as well as dosage. Due to autoimmune issues, I don't absorb supplements well, so occasional blood tests can tell me if my dosage is keeping my numbers where they should be.

You're welcome. That's a great site.

I have the same problem with the autoimmune issues. Fibromyalgia, Reynaud's, Peripheral Neuropathy, Vitiligo, blah blah blah. I just wanted to be sure I'm taking the right supplements in the right dosages.

their newsletters are pretty informative too. [content.govdelivery.com]

@TheoryNumber3 Wow, I've always liked their site (they gave me information on Fibromyalgia when so many doctors here considered it all in my head), but I've never thought to sign up for their newsletter - talk about missing the obvious! But I will now. Thank you.

My Sjogren's affects my absorption, so B12 tablets didn't help much. I now get monthly injections which bring my levels up to 2,300 mcg but within 30 days my count is down around 180 mcg again. It made a difference my nerve pain, so I agree on the importance of keeping on top of your supplements at the right dosage.

Edit: And I just went off without signing up for the newsletter again. Can we say brain fog much? lol

@Lauren But you did remember, so there's still hope for you LMAO!

My fibromyalgia symptoms decreased DRAMATICALLY when I cleaned up my diet. Now I eat mostly plant based. No meat or poultry ever. A little fish now and then. Low fat, carb, sugar and high protein. I feel like a different person. It isn't perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than when I was dragging myself to work in pain every single day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:728321
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.